High Oil pressure 2.8 by Betty67
Started on: 06-17-2019 09:36 PM
Replies: 8 (606 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-18-2019 12:05 PM
Betty67

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Betty67Send a Private Message to Betty67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This afternoon i took advantage of the nice weather and did some body work on my fiero. I pulled the car out of the garage and took a look at the oil pressure gauge and it was pegged which it has done since i bought the car in 2016 (I thought the gauge was just not working correctly so I thought nothing of it). Out of curiosity I pulled out my oil pressure tester and put it on the car and it read 79 psi which is way too high at idle. Also the oil also hasn't been changed since 2016 (it currently has 5W-30) and the car gets the occasional start and heat cycle but not much driving as i have not even put 100 km on it but the oil still looks like new. I will be changing the oil this week regardless as it probably wouldn't hurt. If anyone has any ideas where to start that would be great as i personally doubt the oil would cause that issue but I look forward to hear any feedback.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe too much oil? Esp. with clean oil, the dipstick is very hard to read on my car, so I have to check multiple times.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it stay high at idle when warmed up?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Betty67:
Out of curiosity I pulled out my oil pressure tester and put it on the car and it read 79 psi which is way too high at idle.
IOW a mechanical gauge on the engine?
V6 should be 30-45 PSIG Oil pressure should stay within the specified range at all RPM whether the engine is hot or not. In very cold weather, oil pressure may be a bit higher than normal until the engine warms up a bit.

Yes, OP high can be bad. Even if Oil Filter can doesn't bust, the top where it meets the engine can fail and leak or worse.

Often High pressure means:
Oil Pump has problems. Most OP have the regulator in/on them and reg is bad/blocked.
Some fool installed HV/HP pump because they believe BS hype.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Betty67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Betty67Send a Private Message to Betty67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Maybe too much oil? Esp. with clean oil, the dipstick is very hard to read on my car, so I have to check multiple times.

That is possible. Last oil change i just poured a 5 liter jug in that might be too much... I'll change it this week and double check. Thanks!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Five litre shouldn't hurt it. That's what I always run in my engines. All my engines have shown much higher oil pressure at cold start than at warm idle.
0z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 0zSend a Private Message to 0zEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got any oil leaking around the distributor too?
I had the same thoughts about the accuracy of my oil pressure gauge. It has bounced between 40 and 80 since I bought it last Nov.
I had the oil changed at a quick lube place and the oil is on the high side of the crosshatch on the dipstick. So, I thought the oil level was fine.
I have oil shooting out from where the distributor meets the block when under load (flooring it).
I changed the o-ring and gasket twice. Still leaks.
My next course of action is to do my own oil change with the correct amount of 5w30.

[This message has been edited by 0z (edited 06-18-2019).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extra oil wouldn't cause your distributor leak problem. There is a small hole in the side of the block where the O-ring seal is located. It's part of the oil galley and is under pressure from the pump. If you have a leak, as long as you have enough oil to have oil pressure, you will still have a leak. Sometimes distributors don't seat all the way down so you may have a poor seal.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-18-2019).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our Formula pretty much pegs the needle on cold startup til warm. Reads higher pressure than any other car I have had, no probs. Also the needle moves a lot if you rev, more than some other cars.
Could be the gauge is a little off could be part of it reading "high".
Run it for at about 30 mins if you want a true warm oil temp. Some people put a different gauge on the oil pressure to test it and see how much the factory gauge may be off.
Your oil weight you use matters too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock