Trunk rain leak by FX
Started on: 06-16-2019 04:55 PM
Replies: 27 (356 views)
Last post by: FX on 06-20-2019 08:58 AM
FX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 GT 2.8. There is an inch of water in my trunk after a good rain. It does have a spoiler that I just reinstalled, and sealed real good with new rubber gaskets, and silicone. There is no evidence that rain is getting in from the 4 spoiler mount bolts...Are these cars noted for leaking down through the louvered battery, and air cleaner covers, and getting into the trunk somehow, or anything else? The rubber seal around the top of the trunk area is new...This is without driving it in the rain, so it's not coming in from underneath. No evidence of wet carpet where water might be running down the sides of the trunk, unless it's drying up before I discover the water in the bottom
Bobby

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-16-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those spoiler mount studs can be really sneaky.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Gall, thats what I'm thinking. If it ever drys up around her (Buffalo) I'm gonna run a bead of silicone around the outside, and inside of the gaskets it's sitting on...Unless you have a better idea. I'd like to seal them from the outside though rather than the inside if water is getting in there I don't want rust happening...

All I did when I installed the spoiler was to put a glob of silicone on the bolt holes. Like I said though, this time I'll get em all around the gasket inside the lip, and around the outer perimeter......

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-16-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to believe that so much water can get in via 4 little holes, but it happened to me a few years ago.
I put clear silicone around the stud on the inside and tightened the nut to squish it into the hole.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That sounds easier than what I was planning. How'd that work out for you?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No more water in the trunk! Although my car is now a garage queen and the only water it sees is from the quarter car wash.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, I'll try it your way Gall. Quarter car wash? where do you live, in 1960?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
8 quarters... ....and yes I do.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep me too Gall. If ya have't grown up by the 70's you don't have to.
Bobby
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GT has D-shaped plastic trunk corner pieces (D-plates) that square the ends of the rounded trunk opening to match the width of the deck lid, and provide support for the trunk seals.
They are not present on the notchies, as the deck lid is wider than the GT deck lid.
The D-plates are usually the source of a GT trunk leak.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

Quarter car wash? where do you live, in 1960?

PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The GT has D-shaped plastic trunk corner pieces (D-plates) that square the ends of the rounded trunk opening to match the width of the deck lid, and provide support for the trunk seals.
They are not present on the notchies, as the deck lid is wider than the GT deck lid.
The D-plates are usually the source of a GT trunk leak.

Ding-ding-ding! This is where I had a lot of water leak into the trunk. I converted my 85 SE V6 to 86-88 GT quarter panels/lid.....I didn't realize that a lot of water can (WILL) leak around the decklid...till I drove to work without having RTV'd around those D-shaped pieces.......I quickly found out and bought some black RTV...problem solved! (And my decklid has the wing-holes. but I have screws in them with a small amount of RTV.....no leaks!

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

...till I drove to work without having RTV'd around those D-shaped pieces.......I quickly found out and bought some black RTV...problem solved!

I was just about to ask, but you answered the question: I assume this means the RTV is a must-have? I finally found a good pair of D-plates in the junkyard and need to put them on my car. I imagine it'll be obvious where the RTV goes?

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what am I looking for, a crack in the D-plates? Could these be leaking with the car just 'sitting'' in the rain, as mine is? Not driving...Are they in the deck lid or the body?

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-17-2019).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

So what am I looking for, a crack in the D-plates? Could these be leaking with the car just 'sitting'' in the rain, as mine is? Not driving...Are they in the deck lid or the body?

Or poor sealant on the edges of the "D" plates. How does your trunk seal look?
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trunk seal is brand new last summer...I can't see any way for rain water to get in when sitting, other than the wing stand mounts. The sides of the trunk carpet are dry when this happens.. I'm going to put buckets in the trunk under the mounts, and turn the garden hose loose. The reason I brought this whole thing up is because I put a fair amount of silicone around the wing mount studs a couple days ago when I put it back on. I was just wondering if there was another way for rain water to get in when not in motion.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

Trunk seal is brand new last summer...I can't see any way for rain water to get in when sitting, other than the wing stand mounts. The sides of the trunk carpet are dry when this happens.. I'm going to put buckets in the trunk under the mounts, and turn the garden hose loose. The reason I brought this whole thing up is because I put a fair amount of silicone around the wing mount studs a couple days ago when I put it back on. I was just wondering if there was another way for rain water to get in when not in motion.

If the water is in the middle then yep should be the stands. Could take the nuts off and seal then put back on, all from the bottom..
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

I'm going to put buckets in the trunk under the mounts, and turn the garden hose loose.

Can't wait for a follow-up report on this exercise.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay Gall here ya go. After putting buckets in the trunk under the spoiler mounts, and closing the trunk, of course, I broke out the artificial rain. Opened the trunk and lo and behold, the buckets were dry, but there was water on the floor in the middle...

Conclusion: The, insert expletive here, new rubber surround seal for the trunk that I put in new last summer had mysteriously removed itself from it's groove. Well, I tucked it back in, and with a quick bed time story slammed the trunk, and did the Indian rain dance...no leak...

Solution: I gonna run a bead a black RTV round the perimeter to keep it groovy...I'm think'n the rubber got stuck to the deck lid and pulled it up enough to pop it out of it's groove when I opened the trunk. After the RTV sets, I'll keep silicone spray on it, so it won't stick again, like I do with the rest of the rubbers...
Bobby

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-17-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2019 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yer welcome Gall.

2.5 I will re-goop the nuts from the inside. One was actually a little wet, but the main leak was water dripping/running down around the deck lid past the un-tucked-in seal, and in over the trunk latch protrusion, and to the floor. Thats why I couldn't find any wet carpet on the sides...

Thanks for all your inputs...
Bobby

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-18-2019).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

Okay Gall here ya go. After putting buckets in the trunk under the spoiler mounts, and closing the trunk, of course, I broke out the artificial rain. Opened the trunk and lo and behold, the buckets were dry, but there was water on the floor in the middle...

Conclusion: The, insert expletive here, new rubber surround seal for the trunk that I put in new last summer had mysteriously removed itself from it's groove. Well, I tucked it back in, and with a quick bed time story slammed the trunk, and did the Indian rain dance...no leak...

Solution: I gonna run a bead a black RTV round the perimeter to keep it groovy...I'm think'n the rubber got stuck to the deck lid and pulled it up enough to pop it out of it's groove when I opened the trunk. After the RTV sets, I'll keep silicone spray on it, so it won't stick again, like I do with the rest of the rubbers...
Bobby

When I did my new trunk seal recently I used sealant where it grabs the metal lip, pushed it on real good and then left the lid up for 24 hours to make sure it had cured, before closing the lid. No probs after it rained hard at the Dells parking lot and also driving home in rain from another event.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea 2.5, that's what I'll do, thanks...You mean you applied the RTV before you pushed the seal into it's groove?

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-18-2019).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2019 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't use silicone to glue in the rubber. Use 3M black super weatherstrip adhesive.
Also, you might want to check into 303 aerospace products to treat the rubber. Much better than silicone spray for protection & preservation.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2019 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll do that...
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2019 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FX

248 posts
Member since Apr 2018
Tha Driver, Have ordered products you recommend. What's the best way to seal the trunk surround rubber? Pull it off, and apply sealer to the ridge, then plug it back on, like 2.5 did, or just leave it plugged on, and apply sealer around the outside perimeter?
Bobby, aka FX

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 06-19-2019).]

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2019 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

Tha Driver, Have ordered products you recommend. What's the best way to seal the trunk surround rubber? Pull it off, and apply sealer to the ridge, then plug it back on, like 2.5 did, or just leave it plugged on, and apply sealer around the outside perimeter?
Bobby, aka FX

Pull the rubber, & run a bead of glue in the groove of the rubber, & re-install it. If you have to (probably won't) use masking tape to hold it in place while the glue dries.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2019 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Paul...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock