Started on: 06-14-2019 02:04 PM
Replies: 9 (342 views)
Last post by: Threedog on 06-16-2019 05:08 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did a brake upgrade, I swapped from my stock Fiero brakes(which were fine but had a soft pedal) and moved to upgrade Corvette C5 brakes.

I swapped out the booster for an S10 booster and the master cylinder for a larger upgraded one from a blazer as well. For now, I am just upgrading the front discs and calipers.

There was still dirty fluid in the lines for the rear(old brakes), but it seemed I was able to to get those lines bled(no air bubbles, but no clean fluid either).

When it came to the front brakes, I was not able to bleed them. Air came out of the bleeder screws, but no matter how many times my girlfriend and completed the procedure(about 45 times, opening the valve, pushing the pedal then closing the valve and releasing), I never got fluid coming out the front. Also, the level of fluid in the master cylinder never went down at all. I did get increased pedal resistance, but the front brakes are at this point completely inoperable.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to run the car with the new brake booster or something? I have bled brakes many times but I have never installed a master cylinder and brake booster.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Camel

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CamelClick Here to visit Camel's HomePageSend a Private Message to CamelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you bleed the new master cylinder first? (Not the calipers)
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Camel:

Did you bleed the new master cylinder first? (Not the calipers)

So, I tried..

I opened up both lines on the MC and attempted to push fluid through, but fluid would only go through the rear hole. When loose or open, the rear port had fluid come out. When loose or open, the front would not let any fluid through.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally you bench bleed the master before installing. Mount in a vice, loop the outlet ports to dump into the reservoir, then cycle the master about 10 to 20 times.

Doing this also let's you know if you got a bad one before installing it.

It is also best to figure out the soft pedal issue before swapping parts and you might not be addressing the issue. Soft pedal is air in lines or an out of adjustment rear brake caliper.
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Normally you bench bleed the master before installing. Mount in a vice, loop the outlet ports to dump into the reservoir, then cycle the master about 10 to 20 times.

Doing this also let's you know if you got a bad one before installing it.

It is also best to figure out the soft pedal issue before swapping parts and you might not be addressing the issue. Soft pedal is air in lines or an out of adjustment rear brake caliper.

Yeah I wanted to do the brake upgrade anyway.

I should be able to take this master cylinder off and bench bleed it at this point right?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

Yeah I wanted to do the brake upgrade anyway.

I should be able to take this master cylinder off and bench bleed it at this point right?

You can bench bleed at any time.

Use the term brake upgrade loosely. Your combo of parts will make a substantial increase in front braking with a loss of rear braking...
Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2019 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

You can bench bleed at any time.

Use the term brake upgrade loosely. Your combo of parts will make a substantial increase in front braking with a loss of rear braking...

Yeah, come July I am putting C4 brakes on the rear(I think) to balance it out, I just didn't have time to do so this June with all the other projects.

Thanks for your help!
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2019 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MC w/ any "new" Booster of any kind must be adjusted right or MC will not return fully etc.
When MC doesn't return to rest position, Either or Both pistons will have problems including bleeding problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When it came to the front brakes, I was not able to bleed them. Air came out of the bleeder screws, but no matter how many times my girlfriend and completed the procedure(about 45 times, opening the valve, pushing the pedal then closing the valve and releasing), I never got fluid coming out the front. Also, the level of fluid in the master cylinder never went down at all. I did get increased pedal resistance, but the front brakes are at this point completely inoperable.

Have you tried replacing the brake hose? They can collapse internally and cause a blockage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Threedog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2019 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Have you tried replacing the brake hose? They can collapse internally and cause a blockage.

I would try that, but I bled both front calipers and both front brakes were working before I did the upgrade, the lines themselves barely moved.

I have to take it in for an alignment anyway, I think I will just have the mechanic bleed the system because I am sick of messing with brake fluid in my freshly painted front compartment.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock