Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Which 84-86 headlight motor rebuild kit best as of today? Rodney, Fierostore, eBay?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Which 84-86 headlight motor rebuild kit best as of today? Rodney, Fierostore, eBay? by cebix
Started on: 06-07-2019 12:07 PM
Replies: 12 (419 views)
Last post by: ag9123 on 06-19-2019 09:43 PM
cebix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2019 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi.

I rebuilt my headlights years ago with a plastic gear kit that was the only one available then. The gears stripped. Thinking of rebuilding them again.

Which kit do you guys recommend as of today? Rodney Dickman sells aluminium gears with rubber bumper pads. Fierostore sells plastic gears with rubber pads and aluminium gears that don't have the rubber pads. Also there's someone on ebay named carguy8t8 that sells aluminum gears with rubber pads and also some OEM grease.

What do you guys recommend as of 2019? Do your aluminium gears stay good? Do they stress out other stuff in the motors?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a brass headlight gear set available on eBay for the 84-86 that looks promising. Looks to be more precisely made and of a harder material than the aluminum gear.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2019 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you post a link, please? I only see ones for 87-88. Also has anyone tried one of those?
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

Can you post a link, please? I only see ones for 87-88. Also has anyone tried one of those?

Here you go I'm assuming this what he mentioned

https://www.ebay.com/p/Corv...Brass-Gear/836712703

[This message has been edited by Notglitchd (edited 06-09-2019).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went with Rodney's kit...It comes with everything you need and is well made.....I installed it and the motor runs perfect now. Rodney is very committed to making high-quality parts...I have bought several things from him and am always impressed with the quality and thought that goes into them.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notglitchd:

Here you go I'm assuming this what he mentioned

https://www.ebay.com/p/Corv...Brass-Gear/836712703

That is the 87-88 Generation 2 style gear. It won't work in the 84-86 motors.

I have had a set of brass gears for the Generation 1 motors for many years. Just never had occasion to use them on my own motors and people didn't want to pay what they cost to have them in stalled in their motors that I repaired. So, I've just kept them. I've compared them to OEM gears and they are precisely the same measurements in all respects. I stopped using the plastic gears and started using Rodney's Generation 1 gears and no one has voiced any problems.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 06-09-2019).]

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2019 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto Rodney's. I've installed his gen 1 head light motor kits with aluminum gears, and never a problem. Have used many of his other parts too. A big + with Rodney is that he stands behind his parts 110%. Always good instructions with just about everything he sells...
andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2019 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cebix:

Hi.

I rebuilt my headlights years ago with a plastic gear kit that was the only one available then. The gears stripped. Thinking of rebuilding them again.

Which kit do you guys recommend as of today? Rodney Dickman sells aluminium gears with rubber bumper pads. Fierostore sells plastic gears with rubber pads and aluminium gears that don't have the rubber pads. Also there's someone on ebay named carguy8t8 that sells aluminum gears with rubber pads and also some OEM grease.

What do you guys recommend as of 2019? Do your aluminium gears stay good? Do they stress out other stuff in the motors?

Just flip those gears over. You are only getting half the lifespan out of them if you don't. You'll see the gear only actually wears on half of the face of it. Flipping it over lets you use the unused side.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2019 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More than half the gear is used in an up or down cycle. It's somewhere close to 90%. The gear can only be repositioned in 90 degree increments. If you could just flip the gear 180 degrees, rather than tear the motor apart, the easiest way would be to remove the arm that attaches to the end of the shaft and replace it to point the other way. A 180 degree repositioning.

One would need to very carefully index the motor at a full up or full down stop, then index the gear and shaft before removing it in order to replace the gear in a position that may not run across the stripped portion.

If replacing the gear, you will want a gear that utilizes bump stops. The drive plate that has the 4 fingers on it must have a cushion at the end of travel. Without bump stops, there is the possibility of the fingers breaking off as they stop against a metal or hard plastic gear. That part is available only from another motor.
Falstaff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2019 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FalstaffSend a Private Message to FalstaffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this kit from a guy in Middlebury, Indiana. https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...6?fits=Model%3AFiero

It was fairly easy and they work great.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2019 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Falstaff:

I used this kit from a guy in Middlebury, Indiana. https://www.ebay.com/itm/84...6?fits=Model%3AFiero

It was fairly easy and they work great.

Looks like a Rodney Dickman reseller.

PFF
System Bot
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2019 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney. Have his kits installed on 3 of my Fiero's for years now and many hours/miles use, all working great. Very pleased with his kits, and his other products as well.
ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2019 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney all the way..very high quality...

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock