Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  85 2.8l 4Spd can't shift gears while running. (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
85 2.8l 4Spd can't shift gears while running. by McCool
Started on: 06-04-2019 08:53 PM
Replies: 43 (979 views)
Last post by: McCool on 07-08-2019 11:30 PM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2019 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McCool:

1" of movement on both the master and slave...

I talked to Rodney, He said that the travel I am getting on the master and slave cylinder is about right, and if the clutch plate is still making contact at this point, the problem lies somewhere after the slave.

Rodney knows more than I do. My experience with Isuzu 5-spds though is that "about right" is not good enough. Over an inch of slave travel is required for proper clutch disengagement. However, I've found that my Getrag 5-spd is much more forgiving. I admit to having very limited experience with Muncie 4-spds. With your maximum slave travel limited to 1", it probably isn't acceptable to have any margin of error in any component beyond the slave. Maybe the fork is bent a bit. That sucks though.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-25-2019).]

IP: Logged
McCool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update for when this thread gets archived.

After following the advice given in this thread, I was unable to fix the problem. I took the car to a mechanic, they took a look at all the work I did, said it was good and agreed that the problem was in the clutch housing. They dropped the engine and sure enough, one of the torsion springs from the clutch plate had broke loose and wedged itself in such a way that the plate could not fully disengage.

I am going to update my first post to save the next guy some trouble, feel free to critique and mention some points I should consider adding.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...one of the torsion springs from the clutch plate had broke loose and wedged itself in such a way that the plate could not fully disengage.

Are you referring to one of those little coil springs in the clutch disc?

Yeah, that would certainly be enough to ruin your shifting... and your day. Glad you were at least able to determine the issue. Thanks for letting us know.
McCool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2019 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McCoolSend a Private Message to McCoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you referring to one of those little coil springs in the clutch disc?

Yup, that was the culprit.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock