Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  not sure if the head gaskets gone or an intake gasket?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
not sure if the head gaskets gone or an intake gasket? by Tweeder
Started on: 05-28-2019 06:22 PM
Replies: 7 (202 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 06-08-2019 06:17 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2019 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i noticed some coolant sitting around the injector holes 4&6. i can see oil sitting in the intake manifold valley under the supercharger when looking at the injectors 4&6. so i popped the rad cap on the motor and seen a couple drops of oil there. I went and looked in my coolant reservoir and theres tons of oil there. I popped the cap at the rad and only coolant came out due to me not putting the rad cap back on at the engine.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD(2002), Gen V, 3.3 pulley, SD headers

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 05-31-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heres a couple pics, I can't see any leaks. any suggestions?

------------------

Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. It sounds like oil is getting into your cooling system, right?... I have seen where the cooler inside the radiator tank leaks ever soo slightly. Enough that transmission pressure going to the cooler leaks fluid into the radiator. Is the transmission low on fluid? Is the trans fluid coffee with cream color?? On that note, how’s the color of the oil, coffee/ cream color? Anywhere water and oil are near each other could be a possibility.

-Oil floats on water so the oil almost always wind up in the reservoir since it will be the highest point-

And in your pic, you only removed the upper intake part. I don’t think any coolant goes through the upper, but I do know that coolant goes through the lower intake.. I would remove the lower and check. In my experience the intake gaskets are a high failure point.

[This message has been edited by Crasian (edited 05-31-2019).]

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Crasian:

Ok. It sounds like oil is getting into your cooling system, right?... I have seen where the cooler inside the radiator tank leaks ever soo slightly. Enough that transmission pressure going to the cooler leaks fluid into the radiator. Is the transmission low on fluid? Is the trans fluid coffee with cream color?? On that note, how’s the color of the oil, coffee/ cream color? Anywhere water and oil are near each other could be a possibility.

-Oil floats on water so the oil almost always wind up in the reservoir since it will be the highest point-

And in your pic, you only removed the upper intake part. I don’t think any coolant goes through the upper, but I do know that coolant goes through the lower intake.. I would remove the lower and check. In my experience the intake gaskets are a high failure point.

I'll have to check the trans fluid as I dont know. I figured it was the upper as I had coolant and oil on top of the lower intake. Look at the pic and the square where the rotors are, there are small valleys that are at the top and bottom left hand side of that square.
That where there was oil, might have been from the valve covers? But that doesnt explain where the coolant sitting around the injector holes came from? I can pull the LIM as I have gaskets for it, just didnt want to go that deep in if infact it's the heads.

Edit:: checked the tranny fluid and alls good there
------------------

[This message has been edited by Tweeder (edited 05-31-2019).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get a cooling system tester and pump it up to 18 psi. If the gauge doesn't hold then the cooling system is leaking. As for an oil leak there is no oil going through the intake manifold. What could be happening is a leak at the o rings that allow coolant to flow through the supercharger. A breach there could allow coolant to flow over to the PCV hole and get in the oil. If the manifold gaskets are gone (common BTW on these engines) that could allow coolant in the oil as well or oil in the coolant. On my installs I drill and tap those upper intake O ring holes and plug them to insure no leak there.
If you believe that the oil leak is at the head gasket, do a compression test to tell if any cylinder is giving abnormal readings.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Get a cooling system tester and pump it up to 18 psi. If the gauge doesn't hold then the cooling system is leaking. As for an oil leak there is no oil going through the intake manifold. What could be happening is a leak at the o rings that allow coolant to flow through the supercharger. A breach there could allow coolant to flow over to the PCV hole and get in the oil. If the manifold gaskets are gone (common BTW on these engines) that could allow coolant in the oil as well or oil in the coolant. On my installs I drill and tap those upper intake O ring holes and plug them to insure no leak there.
If you believe that the oil leak is at the head gasket, do a compression test to tell if any cylinder is giving abnormal readings.

I cant test the coolant pressure as the sc is off. What o rings are you talking about, the two yellow ones under the sc? I dont see any sign of leakage there in the pic? The intake manifold gaskets are original so It could be there, I'll have to remove the LIM to check. I have that gasket set on my shelf. I'm hoping it's not the head gasket as I didnt see any white exhaust and my temps were normal, although I know those aren't the only warnings. I noticed my oil isn't on the dipstick so I dont know exactly how much oil is in the coolant overflow. I'll have to drain the oil to see if the coolant has made it in there.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
I pulled the coolant overflow reservoir and there was just a sheen of oil coating the top, so not much oil in the coolant.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looked to be a LIM gasket, the one passage was brittle and warped. Will know for sure when I get the coolant and do an oil change.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock