Finally brought my 84 home by Notglitchd
Started on: 05-27-2019 11:34 PM
Replies: 17 (410 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 06-09-2019 01:08 PM
Notglitchd

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2019 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys just finally got my keyless fiero home. I'm sure you guys may remember anyways the trunk lock is drilled out so we are good to go there just need to replace the door and ignition locks along with the trunk...

So I found out the car is an 84 and I heard there can be certain electrical problems but I wanted your opinion for what to look out for?

The car doesn't start right now we are going to try to charge the battery and add fresh gas as it was sitting for 2 years. Previous owner said the positive to starter cable was bad so we got a new one other than needing new weather stripping and other odds and ends looks good I'll post pics tomorrow if allowed.

Sorry for the formatting very tired from the drive and issues we delt with getting the hauler

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2019 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a good idea to wrap up an old thread on the same subject with this resolution post......easier for the reader to figure out what is going on.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142218.html
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2019 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

It's a good idea to wrap up an old thread on the same subject with this resolution post......easier for the reader to figure out what is going on.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142218.html

Sorry you are right. I wouldnt have been able to answer most of my prior questions without poking around the fourm first. I know each fourm is different so I did just that and linked here. Again I'm sorry if this is not allowed or frowned upon just so use to making each thread for each individual issue elsewhere
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2019 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notglitchd

20 posts
Member since Jan 2019
Unfortunately at the moment I am lacking in funds but I have some parts laying around I want to bypass the ignition switch and wire it up to a toggle switch aswell as a starter button but my biggest challenge is the steering lock. Do I stand a chance drilling the ignition cylinder or do I absolutely have to remove the steering wheel? This car is falling apart it's really just for fun now but I need to get it going under it's own power due to me moving
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2019 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not try to cheat the column, you will only make it easier for thieves. I'm going to stereotype here and say that Detroit is probably about the last area I would want a car to be easily started with a screwdriver.

A black torx screw inside the column is what holds the ignition cylinder in place and you will obliterate the column housing trying to cheat around this fact. If you do win the battle, you're stuck with an ignition cylinder that falls out every time you make a left-hand turn.

Your easiest option is to replace the column with another Fiero column that includes a key. The cheapest option is to rent a lock plate removal/installer tool, and a steering wheel puller, and purchase an aftermarket ignition cylinder with a key. All said and done, probably $15 total after you return the rental tools and get your refund.
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2019 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

I would not try to cheat the column, you will only make it easier for thieves. I'm going to stereotype here and say that Detroit is probably about the last area I would want a car to be easily started with a screwdriver.

A black torx screw inside the column is what holds the ignition cylinder in place and you will obliterate the column housing trying to cheat around this fact. If you do win the battle, you're stuck with an ignition cylinder that falls out every time you make a left-hand turn.

Your easiest option is to replace the column with another Fiero column that includes a key. The cheapest option is to rent a lock plate removal/installer tool, and a steering wheel puller, and purchase an aftermarket ignition cylinder with a key. All said and done, probably $15 total after you return the rental tools and get your refund.

I watched buddycraiggs videos yesterday and I am confident I can do it just need the time and money for the rentals. Fyi I'm not in Detroit I was raised there I'm in the suburbs but we break up Michigan weird it's basically Detroit,Lansing, or the UP lol

Honestly I'm not worried about it falling out at the moment and the starter cable looks suspicious to me like they tried splicing the wires that's why I want to bypass the ignition and whatnot

I'll have to post pictures of suspect areas like cut wires for you guys to see
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2019 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry guys I'm bad when it comes to taking pictures or progress but the lock cylinder was changed....damn inner snap ring...anyways

So now the battery is charging and hopefully we can get her to crank over later. I added isoheet and am hoping I can at least get it going since the gas is about a year and a half old

Other than that things are looking good. Here's hoping the car bomb got rid of the nasty ordor
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2019 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys I found a bad fuseable link on the red wires running to the starter. Unfortunately everyone doesn't seem to know what size the fuseable link is like ones at the store are saying 14 gauge I just see that its suppose to be a few gauges smaller

What size does my fuseable link need to be? Just want to get this baby running
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2019 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so I'm just going to but 14 gauge fuseable link and hope that's the right size since I cant find the size with search or on other websites
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2019 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so apparently there is no fusable link on the starter even though I just cut two out...the third one was a simple crimp connector and since I'm not having much luck it looks like the engine harness is getting a butt connector until I can figure it out. Here's hoping it starts...

The car has been sitting for 2 years besides refreshing the gas and oil anything else I should look out for?

Thanks
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very very surprised I haven't heard from anyone on here...I think this thread will be closed as I am spending massive amounts of time to figure all of this stuff out. I cannot post pictures and posting updates is tiring so wish me luck I'll make another topic once the vehicle is running and if it has any issues
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notglitchd:

Very very surprised I haven't heard from anyone on here...

IMO, the main problem is that the subject heading you chose for this thread has nothing to do with what you're trying to solve!
Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

IMO, the main problem is that the subject heading you chose for this thread has nothing to do with what you're trying to solve!

I'll try better next time my bad but it seems frowned upon to make another thread is there a way I can change the subject? I appreciate your opinion just frustrating to not be able to find certain information outside of an service manual
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Notglitchd:

...just frustrating to not be able to find certain information outside of an service manual

Have you used the Search function here? It took me 10 seconds to find 61 threads about fusible links!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2019 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make as many threads as you want. The title of the thread is important for future searching. When you have resolved the issue, be sure to include the resolution in the thread so the next guy with the same problem can benefit. Try searching for your '84 fusable link problem and you will find dozens of threads on the issue.

edit: Or let Patrick do it for you!..

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 06-08-2019).]

Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Have you used the Search function here? It took me 10 seconds to find 61 threads about fusible links!

Sorry Patrick let me clarify I thought it was a fusable link turned out to be a butt connector after stripping the wires.

After searching and looking at the service manual I determined what I saw as bad was just suppose to be a regular cable but it seems like every other 84 fiero owner has different wires than I do more than likely due to a prev owner trying to splice but I cant post pictures right no so I'll just wing it and post a better topic on my next issue and hopefully we can all understand each other better and communicate effectively

[This message has been edited by Notglitchd (edited 06-09-2019).]

Notglitchd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotglitchdSend a Private Message to NotglitchdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Notglitchd

20 posts
Member since Jan 2019

Originally posted by Gall757:

Make as many threads as you want. The title of the thread is important for future searching. When you have resolved the issue, be sure to include the resolution in the thread so the next guy with the same problem can benefit. Try searching for your '84 fusable link problem and you will find dozens of threads on the issue.

edit: Or let Patrick do it for you!..

Yeah I appreciate it but kind of hard to interpret the tone, i'm getting that aggressive well why dont you figure it out attitude I used search and couldn't find my issue that's why I made a post.

Just trying to have fun with this but idk this isn't the environment I was expecting when I was lurking and had alot of reccomendations and advice.

To be clear I don't want this handed to me or anyone to be psychic I just am new to fieros and iron dukes as a whole and it's a learning experience vs the cars I'm use to (3800s,honda 1.6s,Mitsubishi 3.0s and 2.4s)

I appreciate all the help and even a read but I'm getting mixed signals on certain topics and its frustrating when this is what I do in my spare time to feel better and had personal stuff happen so hopefully no one sees my response as angry just unsure and confused about my last issue in this thread

Regardless the car runs with the engine light on but it needs an engine bay clean before it can idle due to leaves.

I hope to be around to grow my knowledge and respond to others issues as well as post my own i can assure you i will take everything said as a reccomendation and apply it in the future. Again thank you

[This message has been edited by Notglitchd (edited 06-09-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2019 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing that would help a lot is if you could post pictures. Using Windows and Pennock's image poster, they get rejected if the file size is too large....They should not be wider than 1024 pixels, so many times you need to edit the picture before you try and post it.

After all these years a lot of cars have non-stock wiring, so it's hard to imagine the problem. Your butt connector may in fact be attached to a fusable link, or maybe not.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock