Rebuilding a turbo for a 3800 question by mr_corean
Started on: 05-25-2019 06:34 PM
Replies: 1 (100 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 05-25-2019 09:09 PM
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a PTE 6765 that came from an engine that dropped a valve and sent chunks through the turbine and knicked up the tips of the wheel. I'm going to replace that but PTE switched to 66mm turbines as the standard quite a while ago so I now need to replace the housing as well because the 66mm wheel will not fit in the 65mm housing. I have a couple of questions on how to proceed. First of all is the A/R on the replacement. What is on there is a .68 and I really like the idea of the very low-speed sping up and using the overall size of the turbo to offset some of the top end choking. Is it going to be too much off the top though to where I should be thinking about using an 82 or so housing? Second, is there are a lot more Garrett hot sides floating around than PTE from what I can tell. I don't have any on hand to compare to, but does it have the same size center hub opening to where I could use one of those on my PTE?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2019 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not use a brand-X turbine housing with a brand-Y turbine wheel, even if the exducer diameter is the same.

Between the inducer and exducer the turbine wheel follows a curve, and the turbine housing is machined to follow this curve.

I don't think there's any guarantee that the curve will be standardized or interchangeable.
IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock