88 GT parts availability by J88Newb
Started on: 05-17-2019 08:40 AM
Replies: 5 (236 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 05-19-2019 08:05 AM
J88Newb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for J88NewbSend a Private Message to J88NewbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone, I’m new here and just bought an 88. It was an impulse buy and now I’m wondering if I made the right choice. I know that 88 has its own parts. My question is do I sell it and get an 87 or will I be alright to keep this one on the road? It only has 43,xxx approximate miles on it, it’s in great shape. When it’s worn out, I was thinking a 3800sc swap would be fun. Is an 87 a better candidate? I know the 88 handles better but I’ve read that an 87 can be made to handle just as good and has more parts out in the wild. I’ve been struggling with this and need some guidance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep the 88.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Keep the 88.

Seconded. Both of mine are 88s.
Parts are not too difficult to come by. Someone here is always selling most everything you'll need.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A better question is whether or not to keep the GT.
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey J88, between Rodney, The Fiero Store and Rock Auto you are pretty well covered for parts. Rodney even offers 2 types of front wheel bearings now, tapered but non-serviceable and fully rebuildable and this was one part that used to be difficult to find for 88s. I have 2 '88 GTs and to me they are the best of the Fiero line. You only have 43000 miles on it! Man, you are golden! Keep clean oil in that engine and it will last a long time. Hell, it already has!!....Fred W
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. I have had 30 + Fieros of various years and find the 88 more refined in terms of handling and overall driveability and braking. Just keep an eye out for 88 specific parts and stash them away (i.e. steering rack, calipers, rear knuckles, coolant tubes, etc), so that IF you need one, you are not desperate and overpay. I have not tried out Rodney front wheel bearings, but hopefully they are durable.

Just keep that baby away from winter roads, as an 88 with 43k miles on it is far too special of a car to ruin with salt!

Good luck and welcome

Peter

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock