Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is my clutch stalling the car when I slow down?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is my clutch stalling the car when I slow down? by Mcgheejt
Started on: 05-17-2019 08:27 AM
Replies: 11 (230 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-20-2019 05:35 PM
Mcgheejt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for McgheejtSend a Private Message to McgheejtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty new to fieros and my mechanical skills are below average (may have bought the wrong cars, ha). Anyway, I thought I would reach out to the experienced people on the board to help me narrow down my problem before I take it to someone.

I have an 88GT with the 5-speed. It has 23K miles. Two days ago, I took it out and it was running great. I suddenly heard a "groaning" noise which seemed to be coming from my gear box; definitely not the engine; at first I thought the sound was my breaks rubbing but eliminated that as an option. We headed home and noticed this only happened as I was slowing down. It didn't matter what gear (or no gear) I was in or if I had the clutch in or not. The car again made a loud sound like something was rubbing and the engine died as I coasted to a stop. The engine started right back up and accelerated through the gears with no issues, but I continued to hear a "groaning" from the middle of the car as I slowed to a stop and it died two more times before I got home (not good). Am I right to assume it is a clutch problem? My gearbox? Where should I begin?

Todd

------------------
Todd
1988 GT

[This message has been edited by Mcgheejt (edited 05-17-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This does sound like a mechanical issue so it should be easy to track down (hopefully). Based on the sound you're hearing, I'd start by measuring the movement of the clutch slave cylinder. You should see it move about 1-1/8". If it's less then it is a problem on the hydraulic side, otherwise it could be a pressure plate or (less likely) a transaxle issue.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get the same result with the car out of gear I don't think the clutch would come into play. You say the sound seems to emanate from the middle of the car. It could be a bad fuel pump or maybe a fuel filter that needs to be changed. Certainly with the low mileage you quote, the car has set for long periods of time. That can lead to rust and sediment buildup inside the tank.

An AC compressor can also drag the engine down and it has a wide repertoire of noises.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing bad fuel pump, or clogged fuel filter.

If the clutch were dragging, you'd feel the car trying to creep forward at a stop, like an automatic transmission. Plus it would be difficult to get into 1st gear, from a stop. It would also cook the clutch, and you'd smell that. There's really no way the clutch can stall the engine while the car is moving.

Also, if the A/C compressor locks up, it'll smoke the belt. Ask me how I know this.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-17-2019).]

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2019 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe not related but here is what is happening to me...

When I slow down and most often just before I am stopped my 87GT manual has been shutting of rather quietly for about a week now. Yes bragging, but I am not much to miss shifts but have ground the gears a handful of times this past week embarrassingly. Really good newbie grinds.

Newish Rodney Dickman parts throughout.

No leaks up until I hit the inside fire well carpeting just above the clutch master cylinder and banjo assembly. I started at the master and it appeared full. I went back to the slave and nothing. Dry. I followed the line to the foot well and was finally thankful to get somewhere.

I have not determined the exact issue as of writing, but figured this would perhaps help you in the right direction. Someone here will nail it.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mcgheejt, Sitting still with the car running in neutral try pushing the clutch pedal in and out. If there is a difference in sound/pitch with pedal in or out, it may be a bad throw out bearing. I agree with having that low mileage, the car sat a lot maybe for an extended period, and things dried out.

PS: How bout a bad tire, low air pressure, or rubbing on something. You may have two unrelated problems with the noise, and the stalling...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 05-17-2019).]

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:You say the sound seems to emanate from the middle of the car. It could be a bad fuel pump or maybe a fuel filter that needs to be changed. Certainly with the low mileage you quote, the car has set for long periods of time. That can lead to rust and sediment buildup inside the tank.

I'd hate to ask the obvious, but since you mentioned it happens when slowing down: Do you have gas?

The fuel tank is long and narrow, with the pump at the back. If you're driving on a near literally empty tank, then breaking can cause the remaining gas to slosh away from the pickup. The pump gets *very* loud when it runs dry.

Like Blacktree, ask me how I know

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

Mcgheejt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McgheejtSend a Private Message to McgheejtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seq:

I'd hate to ask the obvious, but since you mentioned it happens when slowing down: Do you have gas?

The fuel tank is long and narrow, with the pump at the back. If you're driving on a near literally empty tank, then breaking can cause the remaining gas to slosh away from the pickup. The pump gets *very* loud when it runs dry.

Like Blacktree, ask me how I know

Hmmm, well, the gas gauge says 1/4 tank, but then again, my other fiero's gauge is routinely wrong. Maybe it doesn't have enough gas to keep the pressure. I didn't know the pump got load if it was running dry, so I guess I will do the obvious and go fill her up before panicking.

Thanks

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you fill it up, lock the nozzle on the lowest flow setting. When it cuts off don't continue trying to top it off. If you do this regularly you will almost always have the same amount of gas at a fillup. It also reduces the possibility of saturating your charcoal evap canister.

Once filled up, reset the trip odometer and drive the car about 150 miles. Fill it again in the same manner and determine your mpg. If you then reset your trip odometer every time and fill up every time you need fuel, you won't have to worry about an inaccurate gauge. You can run about 7 gallons out of a full 87 tank and still keep enough fuel in the tank to keep the fuel pump cool so it doesn't bun out.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2019 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the fuel level is low and sloshes back and forth, the pump will get air instead of fuel...and make a lot of noise. If you drive conservatively, you can usually make it to the next gas station with no trouble.....this is a handy safety feature that I have utilized more than once..
Mcgheejt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McgheejtSend a Private Message to McgheejtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

When the fuel level is low and sloshes back and forth, the pump will get air instead of fuel...and make a lot of noise. If you drive conservatively, you can usually make it to the next gas station with no trouble.....this is a handy safety feature that I have utilized more than once..

The WISDOM on this board is immeasurable. The Noobs of the world thank you.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

If you put the pedal to the metal in each gear you can cause all the gasoline to run to the back at the fuel pump. When you're up to speed push in the clutch and coast for a while. Then do it all over again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock