Rear Inner Tie Rod Washer by BadNewsBrendan
Started on: 05-14-2019 02:05 PM
Replies: 3 (110 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-15-2019 12:58 PM
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Putting new rear tie rods on my 84. When I took the old ones off there was a oddly shaped "washer" that had the smaller hole in it for the pin that the inner tie rod has to keep it from spinning where it bolts to the cradle. It also has bent out flanges on it. Forgot if it goes between the tie rod and the cradle or the cradle and the nut and which way the bent flanges face. Is this even needed? Haven't been able to find it anywhere and don't see what the point of it is. New tie rods didn't come with one.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's there to keep the tie rod end nut from coming loose and falling off.
You DO NOT want that happening while driving!!

Flatten the washer with a hammer. It goes under the nut.
After tightening the nut, bend one flange over a flat of the nut to lock it.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info! Should one of the flanges have been bent in this way when originally manufactured? Neither of them were when i removed the tie rods. I figured the nuts being mechanical lock nuts would be enough but better safe than sorry.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2019 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They should probably have been bent from the factory. I've heard of the same situation in the Fiero manual transmission, where the shifter fork bolt would come loose because the tab wasn't bent over to hold the bolt.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock