Fusible link "A" on Indy Fiero.. by Marc Mc
Started on: 05-07-2019 05:47 PM
Replies: 8 (317 views)
Last post by: ag9123 on 05-19-2019 10:43 AM
Marc Mc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marc McSend a Private Message to Marc McEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi..Thanks for the add..Can anyone tell me where I can physically find fusible link "A" on an Indy Fiero...?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum!

it's attached to your starter ('84 only)....or did you mean where to buy it? Fusable link is available at your local auto parts store..

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-07-2019).]

Marc Mc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marc McSend a Private Message to Marc McEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Here's the problem..I replaced the starter..It has a standard Fiero GM starter, correct part, but it has been re wired to use a Ford starter solenoid mounted on the rear firewall.., ( I know)... There was no fusible link..All that is attached to the starter is the high voltage cable with a little jumper to the GM solenoid..It has been wired like this for years..It made the solenoid much easier to replace..I didn't do it or I would probably know where the link was....My problem is I have no power at the ignition sw..I was trouble shooting this when the starter failed..(it's a Fiero)..I replaced the starter and the starter works fine now..I have the car running by putting voltage at C500 but it will only start with either in the throttle body..It idles at 25oorpm and the alternator is not charging..I am pretty sure my initial problem was/is a blown fusible link "A" but I'll be darned if I can find it..I am going to look more closely at the wires on the solenoid. Thanks for the suggestion..
Marc Mc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marc McSend a Private Message to Marc McEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Marc Mc

5 posts
Member since May 2019
Tomorrow I am going to look for voltage on the "Bat" side of the switching side of the starter solenoid and go from there..I'll keep you updated just in case this happens to someone else..This Indy was bought new in '84 by my brother..We named it "That G.D. Fiero because it has always been a quirky car, and we continually found ourselves saying, "That G#d Damn Fiero". I inherited it because I 'm the "Car Guy " in the family..Lucky Me..If it wasn't a 4 sped Indy it would have been gone long ago..
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2019 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why do you need 2 solenoids? Here is the original wiring setup:

Marc Mc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2019 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marc McSend a Private Message to Marc McEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need two, but it was easier to install a Ford solenoid and move the wires from the starter up to the firewall it than remove the starter..If you've ever replaced a starter on a Fiero you know what I'm talking about..It's actually a brilliant way to save time and makes it easier to replace the starter solenoid next time it fails..In this case the starter it self went bad..I did find a broken corroded broken wire about 6" further into the harness at the starter solenoid and that fixed the no power at the ignition switch problem..If you look at the wiring diagrams for 84 it does NOT show a fusible link IN LINE with the ignition switch.( At least the diagrams in the shop manual I have) I found wiring diagrams for an 86 and it did show an inline fusible link, then it just became a matter of finding it..With the setup the way it is, with the relocated starter solenoid, it was a little trickier than it needed to be...

[This message has been edited by Marc Mc (edited 05-08-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2019 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fusable link is on the post with the battery.....not switched. It's likely that whoever added the solenoid did not include the fusable links. Suggest you put the car back to it's stock wiring. It's safer, and very reliable.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-09-2019).]

Marc Mc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2019 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marc McSend a Private Message to Marc McEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know..I fixed it..I said I found the fusible link and the wire was broken..I appreciate your suggestion, (everyone has one...)

I tried to post a picture of the solenoid and broken wire and using PIP and PIP said the image "was not allowed"..not sure why..It's a picture of a car part ?

Have you ever replaced a starter on a Fiero..in the driveway , on your back , at 66 yrs old ? I just did, and it's no picnic.

I plan to leave the wiring the way it is,,Fused, Functioning, safe and easy to replace the started solenoid if/when it fails again.

[This message has been edited by Marc Mc (edited 05-09-2019).]

ag9123

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2019 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ag9123Send a Private Message to ag9123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my starter with one of the new smaller (gear reduction?) models from a 3800. While is was in there, I replaced the corroded fusible link and rerouted the wiring from the battery directly to the alternator. There are a few posts in here how to do that. I never understood why GM ran the wiring from the battery down to the starter and back up to the alternator.

------------------
1984 Indy Fiero

[This message has been edited by ag9123 (edited 05-24-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock