87 Fiero Right turn signal freezing by Robodog_X920
Started on: 05-06-2019 02:59 PM
Replies: 12 (155 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-07-2019 03:54 PM
Robodog_X920

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What should I look for with my right turn signal freezing up and staying solid until deactivated/switched off. It does this randomly, and then it works again after turning the car off then back on. It mostly happens after making multiple right turns. Any ideas? Let me know.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2019 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad bulb can do this , or a shorted socket...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 05-07-2019).]

cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be a faulty ground.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely Iffy bulb(s) and/or ground(s).
Pull the sockets to look at all bulbs. Park Lights off then only bright side of bulb turns on.
get at Front park/turn sockets by lifting Headlights when hood is open.

See my Cave, Sneak Path, Wire Service and Lighbulbs

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Robodog_X920

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Likely Iffy bulb(s) and/or ground(s).
Pull the sockets to look at all bulbs. Park Lights off then only bright side of bulb turns on.
get at Front park/turn sockets by lifting Headlights when hood is open.

See my Cave, Sneak Path, Wire Service and Lighbulbs

To get at the rear lights, do I just remove the trunk carpet or is there more to it? Never tried this yet.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Open the rear decklid.
On the panel above the taillights there are six oblong caps.
The caps cover the taillight screws.
Remove the Phillips head screws.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 05-07-2019).]

Robodog_X920

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[Update] I pulled the right housing off, and ran the signals. The left side light eventually dimmed, and the signals froze. I took it out and shook it a little and it got brighter and then the lights started flashing.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean all the contacts, I would put new bulbs in while it's opened up...
Robodog_X920

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:

Clean all the contacts, I would put new bulbs in while it's opened up...

Definitely going to need a clean. Bunch of stuff around the bulb. What type of bulb should I get? I am fine with oem, or something that won't cause a fire.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would personally stick with stock bulbs. Halogen are brighter, but use more power, and will tax your battery, and charging system, and get very hot. I actually melted a tail light lens on my mc with one. Stock bulbs will last longer too...
Robodog_X920

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robodog_X920Send a Private Message to Robodog_X920Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Here's the problematic bulb.

[This message has been edited by Robodog_X920 (edited 05-07-2019).]

PFF
System Bot
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Ooof, looks like new sockets would be in order too...
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2019 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit pic post to have [img thumb] not just [img] leave /img alone at the end.

Bulb can be crap, have iffy ground to side of bulb, iffy bottom connect(s) or all at same time.
Rear and other bulbs should have Bulb Grease as shown above to keep out water. Do Not Remove it and add more if needed. Can get at many auto parts stores. Do Not use normal grease that can cause many problems including fires.

If one bulb is bad just replace all of them and clean/fix all sockets at same time. NAPA has/had bulk packs (10 bulbs I think) that's cheaper buying 2 packs even thru Walmart.
OE is 2057. Often see 2057LL etc to claim Long Life bulb and can be better but either will work.
1157 only a little hotter only on taillight side and won't matter.
2357 are a little hotter/brighter on both sections but rear fixtures doesn't care unless maybe stuck in park and go traffic a lot. More so w/ GT rear lights. Shouldn't use these for front park/turn because can easily heat the shells.
2357 may change speed for both thermal flashers. Just use electronic flashers that won't care.
See light bulb page.

Yes Halogen Park/Turn bulbs are often not good. Can work for backup lights because not on much.
Halogen won't matter to car electrics much but most 10+ year old cars have electric problems and only make them worse. Halogen taillights are often illegal because way too bright. (Same wiring problems for any HL that often need fixing or rewiring and that's even completely legal HL bulbs. See my Cave, Headlights )

LED replacement for exterior bulbs are illegal and most are crap regardless what vendors and others claim. Is why some vendors/manufacturers will say off road use only but many other will hind this fact.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock