Throttle body leaking ?? Leaking what? by Frank-ero
Started on: 04-29-2019 04:33 PM
Replies: 10 (613 views)
Last post by: Will on 05-13-2019 02:00 PM
Frank-ero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank-eroSend a Private Message to Frank-eroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a new TPS and CPV. Took the Fiero down the road and some acceleration problems I was having had stopped. Next time it has code 21 and 22 (high voltage tps and low voltage tps...) But I took the hose from the throttle body off to spray some starter in and liquid comes pouring out! AH that's new!
So is this coolant ? And result of a busted seal?? Thanks for your time
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are coolant lines that run from the Thermostat housing over to the throttle body to circulate hot coolant for deicing....may be a bad seal- or possibly corrosion. I had a friend weld up the openings on a spare T-housing and then eliminated those lines......But I live in sunny CA....Even if the sun's not out there is probably a wild fire to keep things.......hot........
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Frank-ero:

But I took the hose from the throttle body off to spray some starter in and liquid comes pouring out! AH that's new!
So is this coolant ? And result of a busted seal?? Thanks for your time

V6 engine? I'm assuming the hose you mean is the big rubber air tube from the air cleaner.
If you have coolant in there, then the TB gasket needs to be replaced.
Item #3 in the picture. (you could check if the two TB bolts are loose)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2019 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The coolant lines go through a tubular passage inside of the throttle body and would probably only leak in the event the throttle body was bored out too much, or if there was corrosion. The gasket Fierosound refers to doesn't come into play. That only seals the throttle body to the intake. There are only 2 passages for the coolant and the tubes are screwed into them. You should be able to see any leak if you brought the engine up to temperature, removed the intake tube and peered inside. It would be on the bottom of the throttle body throat because the passage is almost straight through. If you have a converter on it, the coolant will kill it as well as the O-2 sensor.

I don't know where Joshua is, but folks in some of the northern states have removed the lines and capped off the nipples at the thermostat housing without any icing problems in the winter. Here in the south, removing them definitely does no harm.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-29-2019).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2019 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: Arrows indicate coolant tube connections.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-03-2019).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2019 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a throttle body that I removed from an intake. I blew through the port underneath the throttle position sensor with the other port capped with my finger No air passed through or exited anywhere until I removed my finger.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound: The coolant circulates through the machined grooves on the back of the TB.

Those passages are for vacuum, not coolant.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2019 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, V6 TB coolant is for Anti-icing but icing carb/tb/tbi isn't just about freezing weather.

Icing can happen even in warm to hot weather because air gets cold in some spots moving into an engine.
Air at higher temp will handle more humidity then cold air and why "Relative Humidity" reported by weather people are calculated w/ air temp. IOW High RH at 70°F and air gets cold somewhere going into the engine that spot can puddle or freeze the water in the air there. Icing is often in the TB etc but not always. Can be right next to it or anywhere.

Icing can make very annoying problems to kill the engine but as fast as you can check the TB etc will melt the ice and often dry out before you see anything.

Many TBI and Carbs have Thermac subsystem to heat the air before air goes thru them for same reason. 86 and older Dukes have this.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2019 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Those passages are for vacuum, not coolant.

Oops
Frank-ero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank-eroSend a Private Message to Frank-eroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is late but thanks so much for all the info ! I miss driving it so much
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2019 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyway, if you have coolant *INSIDE* your throttle bore, you have a mechanical problem with the throttle like a cracked or corroded casting.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock