Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  can an 88 rear sway bar be made to work on 84-87?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
can an 88 rear sway bar be made to work on 84-87? by vette7584
Started on: 04-17-2019 03:46 PM
Replies: 6 (194 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-18-2019 08:39 AM
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
like the subject says, just was thinking about it. can an 88 rear sway bar be made to work on a 84-87 fiero? if not, what would my options be and does anyone have a rear sway bar to sell? thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A '88 rear sway bar will not work on the back of an '84-'87. However, a front sway bar from an '84-'87 works just fine on the back. Tons of info posted here over the years. Check This thread.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-17-2019).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Agreeing with Patrick that the rear 88 bar doesn't transfer to the earlier cars.

But I have installed front 88 bars into earlier cars to match up with the rear bar when doing an 88 rear cradle swap.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can remove the stock front swaybar and move it to the rear and install a slightly heavier one on the front. Mount it the way Patrick did and the way I copied his installation except I had my pads made with studs welded in and then welded my pads to the cradle.

Something you need to be aware of when installing a front swaybar on the rear of earlier models. You will have to replace your rear ball joints more frequently. The reason is that the swaybar exerts a pulling force on them, which tends to wear the socket. The way the ball joints are installed, they have a load on them, pushing the ball into the socket. The swaybar reverses the force when the car goes into a hard turn.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tierods on the 84-87 rear are right where the 88 rear sway bar needs to pass through, so interference is almost a certainty. I would stick with the proven methods for installing a rear sway bar in an 84-87.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2019 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also look into The Fiero Stores rear sway bar.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2019 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a used set of Fiero Store front and rear bars.
PM if interested.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock