Electrical Issues at 2500 RPM by cashmgr
Started on: 04-17-2019 11:58 AM
Replies: 10 (241 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 05-22-2019 10:13 AM
cashmgr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cashmgrSend a Private Message to cashmgrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Folks,

Here is my issue - 1984 Duke 4 speed - When first started car runs nice and smooth. About 10 minutes into a drive, around 2500 rpm car begins to buck and the gauges start to be come erratic - speedometer spins completely around, rpms on gauge and volt gauge also erratic and I here a "ding" from under the dash probably because of the gauges. I just installed a new coil as old one was a little out of spec doing an ohms test. Car runs fine, actually very smooth as long as I'm under about 2500 rpm. Doesnt matter what gear and pulls strong in 4th up hills - again, under 2500 rpms. I'm thinking a grounding issue but nothing is visually apparent. Also replaced wire from coil to cap. I'm lost here and value your thoughts and guidance. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check all the wiring and fusible links at the starter.

I had a similar problem on my '84 Indy.
On the '84, all the supply wires with fusible links for the whole car connect there.

I FOUND the source of my problem causing all the headaches.
An intermittent short of the battery cable near the starter on a heat shield.
So anytime the short touched, the ECM etc. all lost power for a milli-second.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for arcing at the coil. When I changed mine it started arcing from the coil cap to ground at about 2500 rpm. Had to replace the coil to distributor cable.
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JMTUT

371 posts
Member since Oct 2017
Check for arcing at the coil. When I changed mine it started arcing from the coil cap to ground at about 2500 rpm. Had to replace the coil to distributor cable.
cashmgr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cashmgrSend a Private Message to cashmgrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the tips. Coil to cap is brand new as of today. No change. That said, I did put a new starter last fall not long before storage. I'll crawl under and check the wiring and report back...
cashmgr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2019 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cashmgrSend a Private Message to cashmgrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gentlemen,

Reporting back with some good news - I replaced the coil to cap cable and also as suggested repositioned the positive battery cable eyelet on the starter as we all know there are a few small protruding studs on the starter from manufacturing and although I couldn't see well I twisted the eyelet and re-tightened. Took her out and smooth sailing with absolutely no problems over 2500 rpms. Fantastic suggestion! Just hope I socked up the cable enough (open end 5/8 wrench is all I could get on the bolt) but if the problem returns that will be the first thing I'll check.

Thanks for your help!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2019 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the report!
cashmgr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2019 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cashmgrSend a Private Message to cashmgrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, unfortunately the problem is back. Once again checked the starter connections to ensure there are no intermittent shorts due to engine movement, etc. Drove the car to work twice last week 40 miles each way. No problems. Last night I noticed the speedometer start to spin around 360 degrees and then the bucking started.

As with last time, when I was light on the pedal the problem was not as bad - but still present. New starter, new battery, new coil - cables appear good and all connections tight and clean. Wondering if the ECM is bad. Nothing apparent visually. Not misfiring but something definitely electrical.

Getting very frustrated....

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2019 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove the tach filter and see what happens.
cashmgr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cashmgrSend a Private Message to cashmgrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Everyone for the input. Throughout all of my efforts, turned out to be a bad positive battery cable to the starter (despite it being replaced). New cable installed, all problems resolved and hasn't run better in a long time. Gauges nice and smoothly operating. sometimes it the simple stuff.

Thanks to all
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2019 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cashmgr:

Thanks Everyone for the input. Throughout all of my efforts, turned out to be a bad positive battery cable to the starter (despite it being replaced). New cable installed, all problems resolved and hasn't run better in a long time. Gauges nice and smoothly operating. sometimes it the simple stuff.

Thanks to all

It's odd that a problem like that would only show itself at 2500 rpm or higher. If it happens again, suspect a bad regulator/alternator or a loose connection. '84s are special, and perhaps this is just another example of why.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock