Rookie move (steering diagnosis) by donuteater306
Started on: 04-15-2019 08:44 PM
Replies: 2 (167 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 04-20-2019 10:12 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I left the locking nut loose on the steering rack (prob. 8 years ago). I had the front up in the air to grease joints and do a general inspection. Grabbed tires at 9 and 3 o’clock to check for play. TONS of play/clunking, assumed inner/outer tie rods. Current ones are from R.D. but our shop closed in 2010 so they’re at least 8-9 years old. Before getting someone to help confirm, I ordered replacements.

Today a friend helped me double check. All the movement was in the rack and there was a LOT of it! Went to check the preload and found the lock nut loose. It took almost 3 1/2 full turns to seat the adjustment nut (and of course I backed it off about 1/4 turn). I couldn’t believe I had done that. I remember loosening it years ago to make an adjustment. Obviously didn’t tighten the lock. Sigh, steering is solid now.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lesson learned. Always double check suspension, Brake and steering repairs. Years ago a car dealership did a brake job on a friend of a co-worker's car and left the master cylinder cap off by mistake. Some time later she went for brakes and had none and ran under the back of a truck causing her death.

Ever since hearing that story I always lay the master cylinder cover above the driver side wiper blade. That way I'll see it before driving off.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2019 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I do major work on the car (Engine/Trany/suspension/door replacement) I actually write a check-list for re-assembly....and sometimes I even read it!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock