recommended tires for 17 inch rims by peterh
Started on: 04-14-2019 07:54 PM
Replies: 8 (269 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 05-26-2019 03:49 PM
peterh

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally going to buy tires for some 17 rims I got a while ago. My 1986 SE has the stock 14 inch rims and tires for that size are hard to find.
I am looking for a good all weather tire as the car may see some rain, I usually drive it with dry weather.
What size would match the same height for 215/60 -14"?
Thanks,
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will you ever be driving it in the winter? If not, then you won't need all-season tires. All-season tires are for dry, wet, and light snow. Summer tires are for dry and wet (no snow). All-season tires give up some dry and wet traction for the ability to handle light snow. Just FYI.

That said, a good tire size is 215/45-R17. It's pretty close to the stock tire size (both in width and overall diameter). It's also a pretty common size, so there will be a nice selection to choose from.
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tire size. The reason I would still get all - weather is I will be driving year round and it gets below freezing here. From my understanding the summer tires lose their "stickiness" at lower temperatures. A friend bought a brand new car with summer tires and found it scary to drive so he bought all weather tires for it.
I looked at some continental tires as I have them on my other car and they were highly rated by Tire Rack.

[This message has been edited by peterh (edited 04-14-2019).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might give the Cooper CS-5 all season a try.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run the General G-Max AS-05s...Very highly rated tire, lighter by 2-4 lbs than others and less expensive than the Continentals.......(General is OWNED by Continental)...Taking 40 lbs off the wheel/tire package is like eliminating 200 lbs of vehicle mass..Better ride, suspension control and less mass to spin up during accel......and also less to...stop!
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been running Nankang tires on my Sonata and just purchased some for my Fiero. 225/45 17 front and 255/35 18 rear. As for the tires I have not complaints at all for performance and just driving in all types of weather.

The sizes I went with are:
225/45 17 front
255/35 18 rear

Both tires have a diameter of 25" which is pretty close to stock
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2019 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
check out this website to compare tire sizes:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
peterh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for peterhSend a Private Message to peterhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got new tires at Mavis today - Continental Extreme Contact in 215/45-17 size.
What would you recommend for tire pressure both front and rear. The tire store pumped them upto 40 for installation.
I lowered them to around 32 psi for now.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2019 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will like those tires. Use the lowest recommended inflation psi. Anything lower will wear unevenly. IIRC it is 36, but not sure.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock