Timing cover gasket by fireojay86
Started on: 04-14-2019 06:21 PM
Replies: 9 (192 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 04-15-2019 12:25 PM
fireojay86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 developed a coolant leak seams to be coming form the timing cover gasket. Do I have to change the oil pan gasket to or can i use rtv to seal it back. any other help with this project will be helpful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just curious... had you replaced the water pump recently?
fireojay86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did didnt use a clamp
fireojay86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireojay86

82 posts
Member since Apr 2012
now that i have the water pump out i see that I have a block heater in the frost plug were the leak was coming from. If it was the gasket would anti freeze come out as fast as you poured it in.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fireojay86:

Yes I did (but) didnt use a clamp

Yeah, I was wondering if that might've been a contributing factor.

If it was the gasket would anti freeze come out as fast as you poured it in.

Probably not, but I have no idea for sure.

Was your engine exposed to sub-freezing temperatures this past winter with straight water (or insufficient antifreeze) in the cooling system?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-14-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Was your engine exposed to sub-freezing temperatures this past winter with straight water (or insufficient antifreeze) in the cooling system?

Assuming Coon Rapids is in Iowa or Minnesota, the answer has to be 'of course!' Polar Vortex temps were -20oF for a week!

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-14-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

...temps were -20oF for a week!

Which is why the second half of my question is so critical.
fireojay86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fireojay86Send a Private Message to fireojay86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No this happened last summer it was empty of coolant this winter. Has not been really driven for the last four years. I'm thinking now the block heater may be the cause. And should I change the timing cover gasket and what about the oil pan gasket.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And should I change the timing cover gasket and what about the oil pan gasket.

Put a set of rings in there while you're at it.

If you feel you might've disturbed the timing cover gasket when you changed the water pump (without using "the clamp"), you might consider doing it now while you've got the pump off again... just depends on your present comfort level. The oil pan gasket is IMO not relevant, unless you've had an oil pan leak.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2019 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Top-off the engine with water, pump-up the cooling system and confirm if the leak is from the timing cover or block heater. Timing cover leaks usually do not dump water out as fast as you can pour it in. For your original question...if you remove the timing cover, good chance your oil pan will leak when you put it back together. RTV may work if you let it cure properly.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock