Strange Noise when key is turned by Salsapants
Started on: 04-13-2019 02:18 AM
Replies: 10 (253 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-14-2019 01:10 PM
Salsapants

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I turn my key on, and even start the car, it is making what can only best be described as a distant helicopter. It seems to be coming from the right front side and sounds like a whupwhupwhupwhupwhup noise.

Would anyone have any idea what that is or would be causing this issue?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
armos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it sound like it could be the headlight motor, or is it in the interior?
Maybe something in the HVAC system? I've never torn into that but that's what it makes me think of.

Under the passenger side dash is a little blue box. It makes those beeping noises that are supposed to tell you to put a seatbelt on. Those have issues a lot. It might be making funny noises. It can easily be unplugged (it just pulls free).

Does your car have a subwoofer? If so, it's also under the passenger dash near the blue beeping thing. I suppose there could be an odd wiring issue that might cause it to make bumping noises.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you turn the key on, the fuel pump activates (it may be noisy).
Other than that, you shouldn't hear anything else.

You may need someone to turn the key, while you listen around the car to determine the source.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess would be a headlight motor. If it has the gen 1's they're notorious for things like that. Try unplugging the single wire to the motor, and see if the noise goes away. They're not that hard to rebuild, just time consuming...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 04-13-2019).]

Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It definitely is not the headlight motors as I have them currently unplugged. (Rebuilt them and they keep making a ticking noise, but only when plugged in). It does sound like more of a subwoofer type sound. I will check into that. Thanks and ill get back to you guys.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Salsapants:

It seems to be coming from the right front side and sounds like a whupwhupwhupwhupwhup noise.

It does sound like more of a subwoofer type sound.

So... does your Fiero have the Performance Audio option with factory subwoofer?
Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It does have an option on the stock radio that says LOUD and up above the rear view mirror is the switch to change the bass when the option is selected. It's an 86 SE if that helps any. I have used the option on the radio before and it does work.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...up above the rear view mirror is the switch to change the bass when the option is selected.

Yep, you have the factory subwoofer then... and it's located right where you've described hearing that "strange noise".

Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this just in case it might help anyone else with said problem.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/sub.html
Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Issue is fixed. Unplugged the red/black wires going into sub and no longer have a helicopter like noise on the interior. If needed, you can delete this! Thanks for the help everyone!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2019 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Disconnecting the sub isn't fixing the problem.
Disconnect the amp to it will and stop eating power.

Unplug the big radio connector and find/unplug second connector same size and shape near the radio.
Plug second connector into the radio and should work only on main speakers.

The "Y" part you disconnected goes to the sub amp under carpet on passenger side of tunnel and has all signal and power to it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-14-2019).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave