Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Curious question on the infamous twisted clutch pedal bracket.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Curious question on the infamous twisted clutch pedal bracket. by FX
Started on: 04-12-2019 01:36 PM
Replies: 4 (201 views)
Last post by: FX on 04-13-2019 05:40 PM
FX

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...Well, I was all ready to pull the clutch pedal on my 86 GT 5 speed, and repair it because the cruise disengage switch kept having to be adjusted. I thought that riveted on bracket was twisting like I've been reading can happen. Much to my surprise when I got under there with a good light, the bracket is not twisted at all, and actually appears to be thicker than the pedal shaft, and the rivets are tight...Now a question: Was Pontiac aware of this problem by 86 and designed a new-and-improved set-up?...

...So I'm thinking that my having to keep adjusting the switch may be because the tab that hits the switch is bending, but there doesn't seem to be enough pressure against it to bend it...Or does anyone have any other ideas as to what might be going on?...
Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use a magnet to see if you have a later type steel unit.
The earlier units were aluminum.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...I just went out there. As I thought, everything is steel. The pedal, the riveted on U bracket, and the switch mount. Now I'm wondering if the pedal return spring could just be getting weaker, and not allowing the pedal to come back far enough to hit the switch. I'll have to take the switch out to check that, and see if the pedal will come up even farther with the switch not there to stop it. I've read that some guys don't put the return spring back in after they've had the pedal out... Clutch works fine. Is that spring a critical necessity, and will it getting weaker cause a problem?
Bob

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 04-12-2019).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reference Material:

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2019 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall, thanks for the reference. Mine is like the one on the right. I don'e see any anomalies in it at all. I'll have to look elsewhere for my cruise cut out switch frequent adjustments...
Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock