front mount battery problem by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 04-10-2019 03:05 PM
Replies: 10 (285 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-12-2019 11:00 AM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2019 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
customer brought in a car with a front mount battery "Mounting BOX", hole already cut. it seem either you can have the battery box OR the Steering stabilizer, not both. the box sits directly on top of the stabilizer and if I fasten the box down, the stabilizer will surely rub a hole in the bottom of the box ! doesn't make any difference if the box gets moved fore or aft, still hits the stabilizer. Anyone else run into this problem ? what did you do ? Seems like the BOX was designed Too Low (another 3/4" up and it would be fine.) Thanks for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2019 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body of the stabilizer barely moves. The large diameter body should be.attatched to the rack body, the shaft to the inner tie rod.

With that said, simply demount the battery box, cut the clearance hole in the tire well a little higher and reinstall the battery box in the higher location.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like Joe eluded to, the opening seems to have been cut to low. My box clears my stabilizer just fine.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The best solution is to get an '88... which has no stabilizer to worry about.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the way this box is" made", it Cannot go more to the front, it has a notch built into it to clear the sway bar, but it is already touching it. the box was made with the floor of it about 3/4" to low.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does the box you have look like this "Archie" one?

It's been six years since I mounted mine. I forget, but is there a difference in how the box fits/sits depending on which of the two sides is used as the bottom?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-11-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good observation Patrick, that could well be the problem.
It may just be installed upside-down.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it looks Alot like that, But the bottom lip is different, (conforms to a slight rise in the bottom) only Can go in 1 way. I do see what you mean, but this cannot be flipped over
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2019 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And it can't be slid up the angle of the well to provide clearance?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NO, it hits the sway bar
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2019 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you send me some pictures of the install to the addy in my profile?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock