88 Fiero - ATF Line Leaking by Vicophine
Started on: 04-08-2019 09:56 AM
Replies: 6 (133 views)
Last post by: Vicophine on 04-08-2019 09:12 PM
Vicophine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After taking my 88 3 speed auto to a car show the other day, I noticed a rather large puddle of ATF fluid on the ground and all over my driver side breaks. It's largely on the top half of the car.

Car has roughly 270,000 miles, lots of under-body rust. This appears to be a common problem? I am debating on if I should replace the entire cable/tube, or just the top half. Anyone have any first hand experience working on these? Will be using ramps and a jack. I can try and provide pictures later on!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would depend on if you want to keep it or not rubber will get you buy but new steel will make it perm. You can get the kit and install it takes about a day.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:

Car has roughly 270,000 miles, lots of under-body rust. This appears to be a common problem?

If it's this bad, you've got a problem.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of underbody rust? Look at Patrick's post above. If you have frame damage its a hard and expensive fix. Pull the right rear wheel house and do an inspection. If all is well check the rubber hose connections to the steel lines that go to the integral trans radiator oil cooler. That is a like
likely leak point.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a section of rubber line between the transmission and the hard lines. After 30+ years, I'm sure that rubber is deteriorating. Back when my Fiero had a slushbox, I had that problem... fixed it with a couple feet of fuel hose.
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well put it on ramps today, and it leaking rather quickly from the lines near the radiator. I am not as rusty as the video posted above, but also not that far off. Will replace the entire line with steel, most likely from TFS. Unless anyone knows of a better one!
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Vicophine

102 posts
Member since Mar 2019
Update: Purchased the part from TFS, once it arrives I will try it myself, if need be I believe there's a mechanic in my area (Walled Lake) that is familiar with Fiero's. Again, unless someone knows a better one in the Metro Detroit area!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock