Power Mirror switch swap? by N0ctrnl
Started on: 04-06-2019 05:18 PM
Replies: 10 (654 views)
Last post by: Chief08 on 04-06-2020 06:25 PM
N0ctrnl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey all! I'm about to convert my window switches over to use some from an '02 Chevy. They have a built-in relay and a backlight, so I think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

The problem I'm going to have after swapping window switches is I don't think they are really going to fit well alongside the stock mirror controls. In just googling around, I've found lots of switches from the era (or later, of course) that look like good candidates.

So - Has anybody done any power mirror switch swaps? Which did you use and what kind of success?

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used 4'th gen Firebird controls, but I was also ding a custom door panel at the time.

Bob

N0ctrnl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I can get just the mirror switch. I'd have to figure out a bezel for just that, but probably could. Did you happen to save your wiring diagram?

So after looking around a bit, I'm thinking I could just use an old Camaro switch.

Since the problem is really the mounting holes on the back of the window/mirror switch plate, I could just mount it from the top... though even that bezel could be too big. Ugh..

[This message has been edited by N0ctrnl (edited 04-06-2019).]

OldGuyinaGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's my switch setup:

I found that mirror switch in a Saturn L series, but it's also listed for a 2007-10 Hummer H3, . I was looking for a switch small enough to fit there. The trunk release switch is from an Audi (an A6, I think). The rocker is my driving lights. I plan to rework my console and wanted to get the switches out of the way, but I really like that mirror switch.
N0ctrnl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like that mirror switch a lot. How hard was it to wire up?
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's very easy if you're comfortable with a soldering iron. All you need is the wiring information from both the Fiero and the donor car (which I have since I also own a Saturn LW200 and I have the factory manuals for both cars.) You can buy the switch from many sources, but what you need from a yard is the connector that plugs to it. Just find suitable donor, and get the connector and maybe six inches of the wires. Then splice motor up to motor up, motor left to motor left, etc (colors are completely different between cars.) I can post the wiring information if you need.

If you plan to relocate the switch, that can be easy too. The cable to the mirror switch in the Fiero runs from the dash to the switch position on the console. It's easy to pull it back and reroute it to the dash, driver door, etc and you may not have to extend it.

By the way, that switch seems to be listed under several AC Delco numbers, even apart from color differences (they are available in black, gray, and tan). I took two different numbers apart and still couldn't find a difference. The one in my GT I bought new and is P/N 15250458
N0ctrnl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N0ctrnlSend a Private Message to N0ctrnlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll be real honest - The schematics for power mirror switches has always confused me. The actual execution is no issue at all, luckily
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2019 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Please post wiring info. Thanks....
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2019 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
According to the 2000-02 Saturn L Series Factory Manual:
For the switch harness:

Left Mirror
Up/Dn - RED/WHT
L/R - PPL
PWR - LT BLU

Right Mirror
Up/Dn - WHT
L/R - LT GRN
PWR - LT BLU

Power to Switch
PWR - YEL
GND - BLK

According to the 1988 Fiero Factory Manual
To the Mirrors:

Left Mirror
Up/Dn - LT GRN/BLK
L/R - WHT/BLK
PWR - LT BLU

Right Mirror
Up/Dn - LT GRN
L/R - WHT
PWR - LT BLU

BUT.....
Evidently something was backwards in one of the manuals because I had to reverse right and left from the switch to the mirrors to get it all to work as expected. So in my GT I have:

SWITCH_________FIERO
RED/WHT ---------- LT GRN
PPL/WHT ------ ---- WHT/BLK
LT BLU ------------- LT BLU & YEL
WHT ---------------- LT GRN
LT GRN ------------- WHT
BLK ----------------- BLK
YEL ----------------- ORN

Hope this helps.
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2019 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was asked to post the Saturn wiring for the switch I was talking about, so here it is.

Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2020 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the LT GRN/BLK wire? You have RED/WHT and WHT both going to LT GRN, is that correct? I tried wiring up the switch the way you did and I doesn't work properly, so I'm not sure what the issue is. When left is selected the left mirror moves in one direction and if I move the arrow pad another way, the right mirror moves in one direction. When I move the arrow down for example, nothing happens and I get similar results when select the right mirror. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
[sup][/sup]

Originally posted by OldGuyinaGT:

According to the 2000-02 Saturn L Series Factory Manual:
For the switch harness:

Left Mirror
Up/Dn - RED/WHT
L/R - PPL
PWR - LT BLU

Right Mirror
Up/Dn - WHT
L/R - LT GRN
PWR - LT BLU

Power to Switch
PWR - YEL
GND - BLK

According to the 1988 Fiero Factory Manual
To the Mirrors:

Left Mirror
Up/Dn - LT GRN/BLK
L/R - WHT/BLK
PWR - LT BLU

Right Mirror
Up/Dn - LT GRN
L/R - WHT
PWR - LT BLU

BUT.....
Evidently something was backwards in one of the manuals because I had to reverse right and left from the switch to the mirrors to get it all to work as expected. So in my GT I have:

SWITCH_________FIERO
RED/WHT ---------- LT GRN
PPL/WHT ------ ---- WHT/BLK
LT BLU ------------- LT BLU & YEL
WHT ---------------- LT GRN
LT GRN ------------- WHT
BLK ----------------- BLK
YEL ----------------- ORN

Hope this helps.

PFF
System Bot