Started on: 04-06-2019 03:22 PM
Replies: 31 (690 views)
Last post by: RCR on 01-24-2021 09:05 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not on my Fiero, but I ran into a problem on my son's Dart that may help others, if there is a solution.

We tried getting the front hub off, but I cannot break the nut loose on the axle.
I used heat, cold, penetrating oil, and a 6ft tube on my 1/2" breaker bar. Would not budge. Any thoughts on braking it loose?

Bob
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big air impact.
Turning the right way?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heat cold pb blaster a 6 foot breaker bar, you gotta be turning the wrong way. Try" Drilling" 1 side of the nut, then the breaker bar
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it has vented discs, put a screwdriver in the disc so when it butts up against the caliper the axle can not move. Then use a breaker bar with a pipe extender.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was NOT turning the wrong way.
Seriously. it's stuck. I thought about drilling holes in it. I just didnt want to screw up the axle end.

Bob
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big air impact
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-06-2019 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is rusted on try the PB Blaster after a day or two of spraying it every few hours. Then shock the nut with a hammer a few times in various places to loosen the rust a bit. Hit the nut by using a chisel in the direction of loosening. After a few minutes of that give it another go.

Good luck.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2019 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As a somewhat redneck idea, here goes:

1. Remove the wheel center caps

2. Install the wheels and tires on the car

3. Lower the car onto the ground

4. Install socket, breaker bar + tube assembly on the axle nut. Have the end of the tube touch the ground. The tube should be at the 4 o'clock position relative to the center of the wheel (12 o'clock is at the top).

5. Start the car, put it in gear (1st or Reverse, direction selected to force the tube into the ground), and give it some gas.

It's a bit of a sketchy idea; I've never tried this. YMMV

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 04-06-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Start the car, put it in gear (1st or Reverse, direction selected to force the tube into the ground), and give it some gas.

Geez, I don't know about that idea. The problem is... not only is the tire/wheel turning (which is fine), but the car is also moving forward or backward (which is not so fine).

I recommended trying something else.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Big air impact.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an air hammer or chisel, you could try giving the nut some "love taps" on the flats.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The nut is shrouded by the hub. It would be difficult to get access to the sides.
It's been soaking overnight. We'll see if it gives up today. Otherwise I need to find a bigger impact wrench.

Bob
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post04-07-2019 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can shock the nut from the face also.

You got this!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jamming the rotor etc can damage the parts regardless how FSM etc books said.
Same for wheel off and "beating up" the suspension w/ impact tools and big wrenches.

Use wheel on to loosen or full torque the nut.

You need NEW axle nuts every time they are removed.
See my Cave, Axle

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

You can shock the nut from the face also.

You got this!

Hey......Why are you bringing me into this? Shock the nut with MY face....?.......Geez.....

I actually have a 6 foot breaker PIPE that I use...and then, I use a floor jack to lift the end of the pipe to rotate the socket...Also may be helpful to throw a french dictionary at it......

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try some of this stuff. A few weeks ago a friend of mine spent hours trying to get an O2 sensor out doing all the things you did to the axle nut except heat.
I told him to let me give a try. I sprayed this magic formula on the sensor and timed it for 90 seconds like the instruction said, maybe a little longer. Grabbed a Harbor Freight breaker bar and a socket and it came free using 1 hand. I know an axle nut is torqued much higher than an O2 but rust is the common problem with both.

I got my Freeze online at Amazon.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 04-07-2019).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2019 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are stands that bolt to the lug bolts. I bolted one on, then used a 3/4 inch breaker bar, with a floor jack setting on the steel base plate of the stand. Several sockets broke, but the nut came loose.

On my ATV, the axle nuts were basically welded on. An angle grinder did the trick, but that won't work for you.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can cut the nut w a cutting wheel, then chisel it opening it around the axle. Or take it to a good shop n let them deal w it

shem
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cheater pipe on your breaker bar with a fat friend. It'll give.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Cheater pipe on your breaker bar with a fat friend. It'll give.

This is the guy you want.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2019 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

If it has vented discs, put a screwdriver in the disc so when it butts up against the caliper the axle can not move. Then use a breaker bar with a pipe extender.

That's how I usually have to do it in the junkyard. That's also how I found out I'm stronger than a lot of screwdrivers....

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2019 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

That's how I usually have to do it in the junkyard. That's also how I found out I'm stronger than a lot of screwdrivers....

Yea...Did the same to my screwdriver when retrieving the hub at the salvage yard. Found a bolt on the ground that worked much better.

Bob
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2019 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a screwdriver in the disc brake of my Honda Civic wagon to bust the axle nut loose last week and it worked great. Whether the screwdriver breaks or not would probably depend on how well the disc holds the screwdriver straight. I was about to weld up a fixture to bolt to the disc when I thought I would check what youtube said about it. First video I watched the guy used a screwdriver. Saved me a bit of work.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2019 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't replaced it yet, but I did break it loose. 20V Milwaukee impact wrench on the highest setting did the trick.

Bob
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2019 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always use an impact gun for tough bolts. Worth their weight in gold!
oneinch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oneinchSend a Private Message to oneinchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old post, but olejoedad nailed it. Big Air Impact. Electric will do too. I chuckled at his repeated posts.

------------------
Stanton
'88 Formula, red on gray

[This message has been edited by oneinch (edited 01-20-2021).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2021 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm also in olejoedad corner. A super big impact wrench with an unlimited air supply and plenty of time and she'll come loose. Bring dinner and Tag-team if you have to.
Trust me!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2021 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a Honda where I could not get the nut off. I had a "pretty big" 400 or something lb ft air impact and it wouldn't come loose. I put it back together, drove down the street to a shop and offered $50 if they'd just loosen it for me. They had a good chuckle over the easy $50. After about 30 minutes of HAMMERING at it they got on the phone to another shop. A while later a guy with the biggest impact wrench I'd ever seen shows up and he hammers away for about 3 minutes before it finally spun off. I asked the guy what he had - it was a 1" drive 1400 lb ft IR wrench. I've never in my life seen another fastener that stuck!

Regardless, big ol air impact is always the right answer.
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oneinch:

I know this is an old post, but olejoedad nailed it. Big Air Impact. Electric will do too. I chuckled at his repeated posts.

I have had very good results with this...

https://www.harborfreight.c...rench-kit-64195.html
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the year of the Dart. Used to work at the Tire and Lube department of the box box store, and this one guy with a mid-60's Dart came in every other week for a tire rotation. Left-hand thread studs/nuts on the left side of the car. My '67 Power Wagon was the same way. New Darts are prolly right-hand-thread all around.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CSM842M4

314 posts
Member since Mar 2016
Re-read original post and, um, yeah, old Darts didn't have CV shafts retained in the hub by a nut. Such Darts are more likely using right-hand-thread nuts on the axle. Never mind the rest. +1 for big impact with huge foot-pounds in counter-clockwise, upwards of 400.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2021 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, post is still active....

Big impact wrench was the way to go, but not everyone has a big compressor to drive a big pneumatic gun. I don't. My impact is rather wimpy. Glad I had the electric one at work.

Definitely going on the wish list,

Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock