Help Installing Rodney Brass Steering Rack Bushing by ltlgt88
Started on: 04-03-2019 03:50 PM
Replies: 4 (635 views)
Last post by: John W. Tilford on 04-04-2019 08:53 PM
ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just received Rodney's Brass Steering Rack Bushing for the passenger side.

I have a used rack out of the car I am going to install it on with me RD inner and outer tie rods.

I have some questions regarding how to screw bushing into place.

Do I drill and tap just the rack and use the screws just as set screws pushing again to the bushing?
Or
Do I drill all the way I to the bushing to the middle and tap that to tighten the head of the screw to the outside of the rack?
Any help with pictures or diagrams would be great.

I understand all the rest of his instructions except the fine details of what to drill and how far to drill and what to tap

I don't want to use the provided rivets. I have never had luck installing rivets and them holding properly.

Would like to get this started asap. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

------------------
LETS GO DRIVING!!!

Power Tour Long Haul 2009, 10 (muscle car)
Power Tour Long Haul 2011, 12, 15, 17(Fiero)
Power Tour 4 stops 2014 (Fiero)
Power Tour 3 stops 2013 (Fiero)
Power Tour 2 stops 2016 (passenger)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fast explanation; If your rack is an 84-87 design you must take apart the rack. Remove the pinion gear, then pull out the rack (shaft) Remove the snap ring that holds the bushing on the right side in place and use the rack (shaft ) to pound out the bushing. Tap the new bushing in place with light blows with a hammer and a suitable side socket. Upon reassembly make sure that the rack is greased, and indexed as to keep the steering wheel in the neutral position.
If you have the 88 rack the procedure might be different.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ltlgt88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an 88
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did my rack, IIRC the brass bushing seats all the way down into the rack and doesn't go any deeper. I drilled through the rack, into the bushing, just deep enough so the rivet would go all the way in the hole and riveted it. There is really no force applied on the bushing that would make it come loose. One rivet is fine, but if you're worried, two rivets honestly is overkill for what the bushing does... I did two just because I wanted it to be symmetrical, lol.

Remember, from the factory it's only held in with plastic clips!

Where I drilled it was on the shoulder above the "groove" where the boot gets secured with the clamp, so that the rack is still "sealed" from splashing water.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

John W. Tilford

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John W. TilfordClick Here to visit John W. Tilford's HomePageSend a Private Message to John W. TilfordEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drilled deep enough to get into the brass. Used short self-tapping screws. Ground off the heads. Figured if I had to later cold drill out the headless screws.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock