Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are Sunroof Tab Receptacle Brackets Replaceable and Available?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Sunroof Tab Receptacle Brackets Replaceable and Available? by Mr. Farknocker
Started on: 04-02-2019 11:56 PM
Replies: 12 (357 views)
Last post by: Mr. Farknocker on 05-17-2019 05:07 PM
Mr. Farknocker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the sunroof tabs and the metal bracket receptacle that's riveted to roof of my '87 GT are rusted beyond repair and need to be replaced. The rusted bracket looks similar to another PFF member's fiero:

The tab is available from the FS but the bracket does not appear to be listed. Does anyone know what the bracket is called and where I can find a replacement?

~F
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick online search yields part number 20429461, called a window vent "support". The diagram shows it in a confusing way, but I recognize the rest of the parts and this is the only option I find it could be. Either way, product is no longer available (NLA) from GM.

If yours looks close to what the picture shows, I would treat it with naval jelly and some paint to prevent further damage. That example doesn't really look so bad though. Beyond that, just check your local junk yards for a nicer set.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got rid of the rust on mine (F308 replica) and then used Plasti Dip to give me a uniform surface. It was still looking good when I sold the car several years later.

Nelson
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unfortunately, mine disintegrated and was removed.

~F
tazome

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tazomeSend a Private Message to tazomeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you can send me a picture of what you need i can get it for you, ther are lots of perfect fieros with no rust at all here in california sitting at the pick n pull , such a shame !
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

If yours looks close to what the picture shows, I would treat it with naval jelly and some paint to prevent further damage.

Quick question on naval jelly. I've heard reference to it many many times over the years, but I have zero experience with it. Will it stop rust from getting worse on a fender (obviously not a Fiero) where it's just starting to show through the paint?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Quick question on naval jelly. I've heard reference to it many many times over the years, but I have zero experience with it. Will it stop rust from getting worse on a fender (obviously not a Fiero) where it's just starting to show through the paint?

Naval jelly will remove rust but if not painted quickly, rust will re-appear on the clean surface. It will probably remove the paint too.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree on the paint. If you're treating a hidden area like the sunroof tab slots here, it works like magic, but you do need to apply paint or another coating of something (like plasti-dip or primer) or it will flash rust in short order.

Test it on an old rusty tool, it really is quick and effective.
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2019 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tazome:

if you can send me a picture of what you need i can get it for you, ther are lots of perfect fieros with no rust at all here in california sitting at the pick n pull , such a shame !

I'll take a pic of the one that's left on my car. I read somewhere that they are riveted on.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2019 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Above slots are not sold by themselves. Is stamped welded part of framing for the roof. You likely have more damage then shown and look for better roof frame.
SR are made to handle minor seal problem and have drains for that. Rust as shown the likely have plumbing problem for years and trapped "water" rot the frame even if doesn't leak in the cabin.

Tabs are the part on the glass attach w/ bolts.

Was a plastic trim part and available as GM parts goes over above slots but does nothing to keep glass closed. Only thing it might help when you remove the glass then reinstall so two section meet at right hole. Tabs tips can try to slip above/below the hinge point and bend and glass will leak where seal hits.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2019 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Naval jelly will remove rust but if not painted quickly, rust will re-appear on the clean surface. It will probably remove the paint too.

Originally posted by viperine:

I agree on the paint... you do need to apply paint or another coating of something (like plasti-dip or primer) or it will flash rust in short order.

Thanks for the info.
PFF
System Bot
Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2019 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tazome:

I attempted to take pics of the part in question. Unfortunately, it is covered by a plastic trim and is difficult to see. I didn't have the proper tools to attempt a removal so I left it in place and took a pic of the part to avoid damaging the trim:

The driver's side rotted out a while ago, leaving a gaping hole where the support once existed.

The corresponding tab is badly rusted and is in need of replacing. The tabs are listed in the FS so it appears that the tabs are still available:

The tab on the other side has held up better but is showing the beginning signs of rust. I will eventually pull the tab, sand blast it and then repaint it.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Farknocker (edited 04-05-2019).]

Mr. Farknocker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2019 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. FarknockerSend a Private Message to Mr. FarknockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Above slots are not sold by themselves. Is stamped welded part of framing for the roof. You likely have more damage then shown and look for better roof frame.
SR are made to handle minor seal problem and have drains for that. Rust as shown the likely have plumbing problem for years and trapped "water" rot the frame even if doesn't leak in the cabin.

Can I access the roof vent supports by removing the headliner or is it covered by another portion of the roof frame or sheet metal? Another member has a pair of vent supports that he wants to sell me but I'm not sure whether the old ones are accessible by simply removing the headliner. If they are, I was considering drilling out the tack welds and riveting in the replacements. Are the old vent supports accessible if I remove the headliner?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock