Title and Fastback - 85? by FieroFan85
Started on: 04-02-2019 09:32 PM
Replies: 15 (362 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-04-2019 04:06 PM
FieroFan85

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFan85Send a Private Message to FieroFan85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys and gals,

Im new here but have been a Fiero fan all my life. My parents and uncles and other family members owned them when I was young (84/85/86) and I have always wanted one! Ideally the 88GT (and wishfully one produced IN 88) but today, to get going I settled on an 85?GT white!

I am so excited. I am finally in a position to have and maintain a "fun" car and this popped up avail locally and I jumped. Some little issues with it like non original ceiling liner, replaced and painted wing, among a few other things.

Anyways, my real question is that this is a GT 2.8l V6 and the steering wheel badge indicates that - as well as presumably most obvious of course the Fastback styling. BUT heres where I am confused. The title says 1985 Fiero on it. But Fastbacks werent a thing till 86. I do know that conversions for Notch to Fast swaps exist and the 4 speed gear box leads me to believe this IS a swap. As well as the liner being non original
Maybe it isnt and Im just dumb, but the 86GT had a 5 speed correct? What would I be looking for to tell that it really is an 85 with a conversion rather than an 86/87 with the title being wrong. I did notice the liner (as mention above) is not original and that it is removed for a swap. Is that a clue? The title doesnt say GT though. Would the title reflect the production time rather than the release year? Any help or direction would be appreciated. Heres a few pictures of the car.

Whatever it IS I am happy with it as my first Fiero. Needs a little TLC which I intend to give it. Thanks for the feedback here in advance, Looking forward to some FieroHeads helping me out and furthering my fandom and knowledge.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to working on this car.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good looking vehicle. Good snag.

You can check the VIN # by going to gafiero.org home page. There's a decoder there.

85 and early 86 V6's were available with 4-speed transmissions. The Getrag came out in the late 86 production year.

Looking at your pictures, the car doesn't have a 3rd brake light. 86 and up had the light. The interior color is dark gray and light gray. The light gray was discontinued beginning with 86. The intake plenum has a Fiero decal on it. 87 and up had Fiero engraved into it, though that can't really be used as an identifying factor since the intake is interchangeable. In your engine bay picture, lower left corner is a triangular bracket with a pushbutton switch. This is the trunk light switch and was only on the 84 and 85. The 86 and later had a switch mounted on the trunk latch.

You have an 85.

PS: You might want to search for kgoodyear and see his thread on the GT tail light replacement lenses. Get your name in the queu for a set. Better than GM OEM lenses. Coming Very Soon.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-02-2019).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFan85:

Maybe it isnt and Im just dumb, but the 86GT had a 5 speed correct?

Early V6 86's had a 4-spd, later one's got the 5-spd Getrag.

Post the VIN. Somebody here will tell you the year of it.

[EDIT] Charlie beat me, and with more info!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-02-2019).]

FieroFan85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFan85Send a Private Message to FieroFan85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Good looking vehicle. Good snag.

You can check the VIN # by going to gafiero.org home page. There's a decoder there.

85 and early 86 V6's were available with 4-speed transmissions. The Getrag came out in the late 86 production year.

Looking at your pictures, the car doesn't have a 3rd brake light. 86 and up had the light. The interior color is dark gray and light gray. The light gray was discontinued beginning with 86. The intake plenum has a Fiero decal on it. 87 and up had Fiero engraved into it, though that can't really be used as an identifying factor since the intake is interchangeable. In your engine bay picture, lower left corner is a triangular bracket with a pushbutton switch. This is the trunk light switch and was only on the 84 and 85. The 86 and later had a switch mounted on the trunk latch.

You have an 85.

THANK you FieroFOOL - some really solid info. SO its def a Fastback swap 85 then? NBD cause the Fastback is my much preferred look but good to know what I have rather than not. Little quirk I guess but Ill take it for my first Fiero
FieroFan85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2019 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFan85Send a Private Message to FieroFan85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFan85

5 posts
Member since Apr 2019

Originally posted by Patrick:

Early V6 86's had a 4-spd, later one's got the 5-spd Getrag.

Post the VIN. Somebody here will tell you the year of it.

[EDIT] Charlie beat me.

1G2PG3798FP231264

Thats the VIN - reads as an 85 from the VIN searches which also led me to believe it had been swapped. Lastly the lower quarter panels next to the door are a darker white than the trunk and top Fastback panels. Im glad I have confirmation now though

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 86 and up GTs also had smooth molding, yours is ribbed, another confirmation of a fast back swap on an 85.
Note also the lack of the auxillary gage pod, standard on 86 and up V-6 cars.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-03-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something I noticed that doesn't identify a year, but may identify a stupid lift operator. The driver's rocker panel is broken. Possibly due to being lifted incorrectly. I would look underneath in that area and inspect the coolant tubes that run along the edge of the frame. If they are crushed, you may have some overheating issues in the summer.

I'm taking a WAG but you're from Lowell, Ma? That would also warrant inspecting the frame rails and inside the trunk for rust. Patrick has some good photos of this that he usually posts. Maybe he's monitoring and will put them up for you.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84/85 had speakers in the headrests.
86 up - they were moved to the B pillar

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm taking a WAG but you're from Lowell, Ma?

LOL I sort of assumed it was Lowell Indiana...

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Or Lowell MI...
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assumed Ma. because I used to live up there, but if it's either of the ones you guys have listed, the result is the same.
PFF
System Bot
FieroFan85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFan85Send a Private Message to FieroFan85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I assumed Ma. because I used to live up there, but if it's either of the ones you guys have listed, the result is the same.

Yes, LOWELL, MA - Thank you fool! I will def take a look at the coolant tubes. I know I tried to whack a few hundred off the price because of headlight motor need and the cracked rocker. Seller showed me unanswered messages into almost the 100s and I was first in line so I said F it and handed over the $. The car is in mostly solid condition - but like I mentioned does need some TLC.

You guys have been very helpful and I greatly appreciate it!

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2019 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That would also warrant inspecting the frame rails and inside the trunk for rust. Patrick has some good photos of this that he usually posts. Maybe he's monitoring and will put them up for you.

I've previously posted photos of rust, but this video I found online years ago IMO does a much better job. I think we can all identify with the frustration and anguish in the guy's voice.

FieroFan85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFan85Send a Private Message to FieroFan85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've previously posted photos of rust, but this video I found online years ago IMO does a much better job. I think we can all identify with the frustration and anguish in the guy's voice.

You guys are the best! So first thing we did was inspect inside and under. Turns out the rear subframe (probably the reason for the Fast swap) was "MacGyvered" welded in a spot near the rear control arm. Obviously something catastrophic happened at SOME point. NBD, but heres my question - in my search for a new cradle/subframe for the engine I am finding a lot of 86gt cradles but not many 85gt. Im seeing some references to them being cross compatible but only if SE or non and entirely dependent on the suspension setup? Would a 86gt subframe work for my 85gt?

**Other things found while doing initial tear down and inspections**
-Emergency brake lines in good condition but dont work.
-Speedomoter doesnt work but the Tachometer does. Recommended fix? New cluster or the plastic tooth? sensor?
-Very slight leak in sunroof - Best reseal method or course of action?
-rotted air canister (left middle rear engine compartment) - what did this even do? best course of action?

other than that the car is very solid all around. Ill be doing a fresh exhaust system as one of the last things I do and have decided to wrap the car in the meantime rather than base and clear coat it, to save $ for the more important mechanical issues.

Thanks again you guys.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cradle will work.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2019 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

-Very slight leak in sunroof - Best reseal method or course of action?

Make sure the factory drain holes in each corner of the sunroof aren't plugged. It's possible an '85 didn't originally have them. If not, they need to be added. Info on these holes can be found in plenty of threads here.

-rotted air canister (left middle rear engine compartment) - what did this even do? best course of action?

Cruise control. Either replace the can with something else suitable, or eliminate it completely and cap off the lines. You don't want vacuum leaks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-04-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock