Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 Series III swap with F40 questions. I am a newb. Please help me.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Series III swap with F40 questions. I am a newb. Please help me. by Substandard
Started on: 03-31-2019 09:52 PM
Replies: 3 (671 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-01-2019 03:04 PM
Substandard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SubstandardSend a Private Message to SubstandardEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone, long time Fiero fan so I finally bit the bullet and purchased one.

Unfortunately the trip home from Austin to KC ended after 40 miles. The engine blew up. So here I am, needing a new engine. After reading post after post after post I'm even more confused! So I am turning to you Fiero experts to help me out. I was going to put a ARI 2.8 to 3.4 pushrod stroker in, but it's $3150. Not including installation, and I am still stuck with the awful intake manifold. Now I am looking into the series 3 3800 L26 with a SAAB F40 or Buick Regal F40.

What are my options? Is there a complete list of everything needed? <-- I've been hearing conflicting information. I am also wanting to keep the drive by wire system on the series 3. Anyone know of a Fiero mechanic in the Kansas City area, or surrounding area? School me!

Thanks, and I am happy to be here!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello and welcome to the Fiero world.

You are in luck, Chris Coulter in Independence, MO is the president of the KCFOG (Kansas City Fiero Owners Group) and a great mechanic. He is eph_kay on Pennocks. The monthly club meeting is next Monday, April, 8 at the Dairy Queen in Lee's Summit , MO at 7:00PM, come by and meet Chris and some of the other Fiero owners in the KC area.

KCFOG FB link

https://www.facebook.com/Ka...oup-133680613310338/

He did a 3800 SC swap on my car a few years ago and I am very pleased with how it turned out. It looks great, is very reliable and way fun to drive.

Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryinkc (edited 04-01-2019).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. I will let others speak to the specifics on the 3800 side of things.

For the F40, you will need one from a 2006-2007 Pontiac G6 with the 3900 engine. The Saab and Ecotec versions have the wrong bellhousing bolt pattern and will not directly bolt up to the 3800.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2019 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are looking to do a 3800SC series III swap; the easiest route to convert the drive by wire operation is to install a cable operated throttle body (use the ZZP adapter) and run it on a 1996-2002 PCM with applicable wiring.
My opinion is that the more state of the art current technology LFX engine would provide better performance naturally aspirated. Not many of them have been swapped into Fieros so far but I see them as the next popular engine swap. That engine is very light (all aluminum) and provides 300 HP stock. They are widely used on new GM cars and are still available new.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock