Cooks gt window question by viperine
Started on: 03-29-2019 09:24 PM
Replies: 10 (303 views)
Last post by: tshark on 03-31-2019 09:04 PM
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone successfully installed, then later removed these sail panels that are still available from the Fiero store? Is there a trick? Or is the paint on the sails guaranteed to peel off if you try to remove them?

My paint job aspirations are just growing increasingly distant, and I am frankly sick of looking at cracked and damaged sail panels on my car.

I have the new sail panels already and would entertain putting them on now anyway just to ease my frustrations.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sail Panels and quarter windows are two separate designs. One is used on Notchbacks the other on fastbacks. Chris Cook made a replacement quality window but they do not always fit right and the contour is also different. I believe that Cooks windows are painted for the shading and it will come off if the window is removed. The Fiero Store sells a premium .quarter window that is exactly like the originals

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go ahead and install the quarter windows, it's probable that the paint will come off if you try to remove them to pain the body. I would venture that would happen with any of the windows available.
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have them and had to remove them, yes some of the paint did come off, but, i was able to get some of the paint from the seller and repaint the areas where it came off, they look just fine after
Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had 2 sets from Cook.. both sets eventually came off due to the paint coming off the window itself. It’s weird how some claim it never happens and if it does it’s because of the “wrong” tape. So YES, it’s probably gonna peel the paint upon removal.
-Crasian
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the OEM quarter windows used a heat stamping process for the printed design. Cooks windows are painted. When trying to remove the windows from the two sided tape, you can bet that the paint on the inner side will come off. The windows are being held in place by the two sided tape to the thin paint surface on the inner side not directly to the plastic window. Its a compromise design that filled a gap in the market when noting else was available. Now that the Fiero Store has premium OEM style windows this problem may no longer be an issue.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15139 posts
Member since May 2000
-

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-31-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When the proper ink (acrylic) is used, it actually becomes a part of the surface of the acrylic window through a chemical bond as opposed to a mechanical bond. Mechanical bonds will separate, but usually the only way to remove a chemical bond is with a chemical or through abrasion. Both of which will damage the window. The original windows were provided with a way to remove them. That was a piece of monofilament line that actually separated the 2 surfaces of the tape, leaving one adhesive surface on the car body and the other on the window surface. Then other methods could be used to remove the adhesive without damaging the printed surface. Peanut butter was touted to be a good adhesive remover. Lots of work but it worked for me.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kind of what I expected so far. I appreciate the responses!

The OE fishing line was something I wanted to consider, but I am tinkering with an idea that would serve best for this daily driver that sees Winters and salt as well. I may test with one of the blemished windows he posts on eBay from time to time to save the pain of full replacement if it should not work.

Hopefully I have a neat resolution soon! Keep the thread going if you have experience or ideas!
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use a guitar string to separate the tape. If you can find a point where you can get it through from the backside to the front. Wrap the ends around a large piece of wood to act as handles and saw it back and forth. Original factory installations had several gaps in the tape at the bottom of the window to allow water to drain. If you can locate those spaces, it's easy to get the wire through. That's what I did when the monofilament broke. I think it's the 3rd string. The finest string that is wound.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-31-2019).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2019 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guitar strings are different. Electric strings are generally smaller than acoustic strings. There are silver-colored strings and gold-colored strings.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock