New Fiero owner, fuel problems?? by Frank-ero
Started on: 03-28-2019 05:56 PM
Replies: 4 (88 views)
Last post by: Frank-ero on 03-28-2019 07:08 PM
Frank-ero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank-eroSend a Private Message to Frank-eroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just purchased a 86 v6 GT. I have noticed it has a problem starting after I drive for a bit and get back in shortly after (not a problem if it sits for an hour or more) also if I am stopped/parked at an uphill angle it has acts like it wants to die or isnt getting fuel. Please help. Fuel filter? Spark plugs? Distributor?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

I'm not really familiar with the 2.8, so there may be some common quirk that needs to be addressed. I'm sure one of the many V6 gurus here can jump in with some specifics to look for. However, in general for an issue like this, I would start by checking the fuel system and the spark. A quick check of the fuel system would be to spray some starter fluid into the intake and turn the engine over. If it starts, then there is a good chance you are having a fuel issue. In that case, you should hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see if it is building full pressure when you turn the key on. If the starter fluid didn't help it start, then it's more likely a spark issue. You can pull a spark plug, check for wear and then ground the threads to the engine block while someone turns it over again. If you don't see a strong spark then you'll need to check the ignition system closely.

Edit: make sure you don't start just putting in a bunch of new parts without knowing what the problem is. It's not uncommon to get new parts that have sat on a shelf for such a long time that they come to you DOA (i.e. broken). You can suddenly introduce additional issues without realizing it, and it makes diagnosing the initial problem much harder. Suddenly you have two faults instead of one.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 03-28-2019).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put a Fuel Pressure GAUGE onto the schrader valve.
it should HOLD pressure fro 20 min after you shut it off. you may have a leaking "Injector"
JMTUT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JMTUTSend a Private Message to JMTUTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First thing to check is fuel level. The gauges on these cars are notoriously inaccurate. There is also a fuel line on the pump inside the tank which can deteriorate and suck air when the tank gets lower.
Frank-ero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Frank-eroSend a Private Message to Frank-eroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info and help. I am changing the fuel filter this weekend, we will see. I will check more before I go further

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock