Rearview mirror removal by Blmkso
Started on: 03-28-2019 04:05 PM
Replies: 1 (146 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-28-2019 07:55 PM
Blmkso

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlmksoSend a Private Message to BlmksoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear view mirror on my ‘87 GT is in rough shape and I was wondering how to remove it ? I’d like to just remove it from the button and install a new generic mirror without removing the button and adhesive. I have removed the star screw but wasn’t sure if there is a trick to getting it off without breaking the windshield.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May need to turn the screw 2 - 4 turns loose before will come off.
Should just slide to top to get it off after that.

If stuck then carefully tap the mount in different directions to loosen "rust" etc.
Still won't move then likely some idiot glued the whole thing on the glass.

Removed the button has a nasty habit of breaking the glass. More so when re-glued before.

If you have to reattach the button... I have better luck w/ Pilot Brand Mirror Kit w/ own "Plastic" buttons. Their buttons doesn't fail again after 1 or more years.
http://www.pilotautomotive....005_Universal_1.html
If you reuse OE or get new Metal buttons then you must clean both very Very carefully and follow glue directions to have any hope will stay put for even a few months. Metal and Glass expand/shrink at different rates for heat/cold cycles and put a lot of strain on the glue. Can try sanding the button w/ 220 or higher to completely remove old glue and crap then clean both w/ brake clean. Carefully spray whatever on a clean rag outside of car then wipe glass. Strong solvents attack most things in a car.

Pick a time when glass and button is ~ 70 - 80°F and stay there for 12 - 24 hours minimum before you mount the mirror. Permatex et al says the glues are instant dry but often takes time to get full strength.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-29-2019).]

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock