3800 FPR Mouting by AndrewTHG
Started on: 03-28-2019 06:15 AM
Replies: 4 (182 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 03-30-2019 09:56 AM
AndrewTHG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am mounting up my fuel pressure regulator for my 3800 swap and thought about mounting it to the old coil pack bracket. It would sit down low and lay flat on it. I know the coil packs cannot sit here due to (deck lid?) interference. Has anyone mounted a regulator or something else here? Whats the clearance like? Will the hinge hit? I like this spot because it is close to the rail and requires less vacuum line routing. Regulator is an Aeromotive 13129. Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
whats wrong with the one in the fuel Rail ?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can mount the regulator anywhere (ie: its an external regulator), I would get it off the engine. Even on the OE coil pack mount bracket, it will still be exposed to engine and exhaust heat. I mount mine down low by the OE fuel filter location:

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

AndrewTHG

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AndrewTHGSend a Private Message to AndrewTHGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lou - sorry, should have mentioned it's series 3 rail, so no regulator on the rail.

Thanks ryan, I had heard that it was good to get it as close to the rail as possible which is why i toyed with the idea of being up high there. Plus...then it is easy to adjust (granted, should only have to adjust it once, then lock the nut and call it good). But obviously don't want it failing prematurely from heat.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2019 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't experienced any issues with mounting the FPR down by the fuel filter. I'm not exactly sure why some say to mount it as close to the fuel rail as possible; possibly the reasoning is the fuel will circulate as close to the rail as possible to ensure the fuel going into the rail is as cool as possible?

GM transitioned to returnless fuel rails many years ago because they found the fuel rail was significantly heating the fuel and returning that heated fuel to the tank (and this increased evaporative emissions). In new cars, the regulator is in the tank so there is only one fuel supply line that runs to the engine. The modern fuel rails are designed to separate vapor from liquid fuel so the engine doesn't suffer from vapor lock issues. But I've seen people convert aftermarket fuel rails (that were originally set up to be connected to a return line) over to returnless and never have an issue with vapor lock.

Besides potentially heating the fuel by mounting your FPR up on the OE coil pack bracket, I would be more concerned about having a potential fuel leak risk in that area since it is so close to the front exhaust manifold. Based on the available evidence and my own experience, I don't see any good reason to mount an external FPR up on the engine. I would recommend mounting it down by the filter or anywhere else off and away from the engine or any heat source.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock