Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Missing hardware bumper to fender mounting.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Missing hardware bumper to fender mounting. by 87fiero2017
Started on: 03-26-2019 01:57 PM
Replies: 11 (265 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 03-28-2019 12:02 AM
87fiero2017

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in progress of installing my new marker lenses since car had none when I got it. The rear bumper sags on both quarter panels. I noticed I'm missing hardware. Chiltons says bolts are suppose to be there. Anybody know size or type? Also the front bumper to fender seems to be missing hardware behind marker lenses. Any help would be great
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87fiero2017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone got pics of there marker lenses off that may help me a bit
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear cover attaches to the rear clip using two 7mm head bolts, similar to to the bolts used
everywhere else in the car, two on each side.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87fiero2017:

The rear bumper sags on both quarter panels. I noticed I'm missing hardware.

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but do you have the rear bumper support adjusted properly? My '88 Formula uses a rigid plastic "shelf", but the earlier years use a relatively flimsy sheet metal one that tends to bend down at each end. It helps to bend the ends back up for a bit of additional support.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder why your shelf below the taillights is plastic?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I wonder why your shelf below the taillights is plastic?

I don't know if Pontiac updated the design for all 88's or what, but the plastic rear bumper support my Formula has is definitely more skookum than the flimsy stamped sheet metal units used on earlier models.

[EDIT] As mentioned in later posts, it appears '86 might've been the last year for the "flimsy" metal version before it was improved.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-27-2019).]

Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to, but do you have the rear bumper support adjusted properly? My '88 Formula uses a rigid plastic "shelf", but the earlier years use a relatively flimsy sheet metal one that tends to bend down at each end. It helps to bend the ends back up for a bit of additional support.

Interesting "'88 Formula uses a rigid plastic shelf"..My 88 GT has a Galvanized coated Steel shelf..pretty robust.

**I think I missed what year and model the OP was referring to, I think there are slightly different mountings between models.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

My 88 GT has a Galvanized coated Steel shelf..pretty robust.

Hmmm... I can't tell very well from the picture (although it's a good shot), but that appears to be more robust than the metal shelf used on earlier years. I wonder if it's possible in '88 that the notchies/Formulas got the new plastic shelf and the GT's got an improved metal one?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36239 posts
Member since Apr 99
As it turns out, I only had to go into my backyard to answer some of my own concerns.

Pictured below is the rear bumper support on an '86 GT. The metal has evidence of corrosion, and it's quite flimsy... easily bent by hand. It's the same as the one on my '84. I also have a base model '87, and it's rear bumper support is metal as well... but it's not corroded, not flimsy, and not able to be easily bent. I didn't take a picture of it, but I suspect it's exactly the same as the one on the '88 GT pictured by Orig88GT-NC above.

So it would appear that there are at least two different types ('84-'86 and '87-'88) of metal rear bumper supports (the later one stronger than the earlier version) and at least one plastic version. I didn't mention it earlier, but I also found the plastic rear bumper support on an '88 base model... so possibly it's found on all non-GT 88's.

87fiero2017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok good info guys. Thanks for the help. Ill remove my bumper and take a look at the shelf. Those 7 mm bolts ill hunt down and looks like ill have to repair the fiberglass there too. Thanks again. Trying to get mine on the road for the first time
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2019 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have had several Formulas and 88 coupes, as well as GT's here, have never seen a plastic shelf. According to VINs, we've seen early, middle and very late production.

Very interesting discovery.

I have seen two gages of metal used for the shelf between early and later year cars.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

...have never seen a plastic shelf. Very interesting discovery.

I kept the plastic rear bumper shelf/support (along with everything else that was exclusive to 88's) when I scrapped an '88 base model years ago, but I don't remember what I did with it. I either used it on my '84... or it's in my basement. My basement is a very scary place. If I stumble across this plastic support in the near future, I'll post a picture of it in this thread.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock