Cutting into the front hood. by LornesGT
Started on: 03-25-2019 11:23 PM
Replies: 10 (353 views)
Last post by: Blacktree on 03-29-2019 04:09 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2019 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to use a dremel to put an image into the hood. I will probably recess not more than an 1/8”. Am I asking for trouble? I am not sure what I should use as a filler if you will. I am not going to bring it back to flush.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You weaken the skin face by Cutting can, likely will, cause problems later because gives more flex to the finish and the skin face.
Plus hood is a safety feature with latch bolts at rear corners and a "fold zone" on bottom so won't get push thru windshield in a wreck. Weaken hood may not fold properly in a wreck. ETA--> or may fold just for opening/closing the hood very soon or down the road depending exactly how you cut.<--
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

YT Fiero Crash Test to watch several front end wrecks.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-26-2019).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your intent is to recess a graphic in the surface of the hood, but not cut all the way through the hood, then you will want to stick to about 1/32" recess.

1/8 will cut through, 1/16" will likely make it too thin and prone to cracking. 1/32 will be visible, but still leave material under it for hood integrity.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front hood is SMC, similar to fiberglass. If there are any cracks in the paint or sealer, moisture can get into the fibers and expand them over time, so the paint job has to be very good to prevent blisters. On a show car it might be OK, but if your car sees a normal amount of water, chances are good that paint will lift after a few years. Here is a photo of the problem on a Fiero sun roof.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That too...
Above hood had iffy factory paint that blistered etc after ~ 5 years much worse after 30 years. Roof has damage at SR edges too because easy to wreck the edges taking the roof off/on.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2019 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

If your intent is to recess a graphic in the surface of the hood, but not cut all the way through the hood, then you will want to stick to about 1/32" recess.

1/8 will cut through, 1/16" will likely make it too thin and prone to cracking. 1/32 will be visible, but still leave material under it for hood integrity.

1/32 would be hard to use the SMC to seal the graphic without completely filling the graphic back in completely. I will have a scrap piece to test out eventually, I have two hoods but I don’t want to ruin either the of them. Thanks for the info guys.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Um... Whats wrong with a good old fashioned vinyl graphic?

Your results will be much better and you will not compromise a hood to accomplish it. Whittling the hood seems like a terrible idea to me,
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2019 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reinforce the bottom of the hood w some big pieces of fiberglass first

shem
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thedrue:

Um... Whats wrong with a good old fashioned vinyl graphic?

Your results will be much better and you will not compromise a hood to accomplish it. Whittling the hood seems like a terrible idea to me,

Um... what is wrong with doing it the way I want? Did I not ask for people opinion of what would happen? Why do what every one else does?
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:

Um... what is wrong with doing it the way I want? Did I not ask for people opinion of what would happen? Why do what every one else does?

Then it sounds like you are blazing the trail. Go ahead and give it a go and report back how it turns out!

There is nothing wrong with doing things the way you want but there are reasons certain techniques are common and others are not. Hand carving a fiberglass hood doesn't seem like something that will yield any sort of good result to me but I'm happy to be proven wrong!

[This message has been edited by thedrue (edited 03-29-2019).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2019 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To do it correctly (i.e. without trashing the hood), you would need to separate the two layers of the hood, build up fiberglass on the backside of the skin, then reattach the bottom layer to the skin. I would also suggest making sure there are no sharp corners in your cuts, because the SMC material is prone to cracking.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock