Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) question by kevin
Started on: 03-19-2019 02:43 PM
Replies: 14 (926 views)
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 03-25-2019 02:57 PM
kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I checked YouTube to get instructions on how to remove and replace my VSS. I could not find a step by step instructional video? My problem is that my tachometer reads my Iron Duke tach revolutions all wrong! This problem began when I successfully installed the instrument gauge package from a V6 Fiero into my Duke. What sensor do I purchase and from where?
Cordially,
kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 03-19-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VSS has nothing to do with the tachometer.

The problem is that the six cylinder tach is not set up for a four cylinder.

Forum member jgunsett may be able to help you with the problem.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VSS has nothing to do with the tach. It only operates the speedometer. No need to remove it for your described problem.

But, to answer your question. How to remove the VSS. Assuming it's a manual since you don't identify the transmission or year, remove the 10mm bolt on the hold-down plate. Remove the plate. There's a small notch in the side of the VSS that the hold-down plate fits into. Using a wide flat blade screwdriver, leverage the VSS upward just enough to break the seal. Then take hold of the VSS with both hands and CAREFULLY remove it by rocking it while trying to remove it as you would safely remove the cork of a bottle of champagne. Once the body of the VSS clears the transmission case, SLOWLY lift it while observing the gear on the bottom, making sure that it doesn't snag on the case. It is only just slightly smaller than the hole the VSS fits into. Drop it into the transmission and you could be in for some headaches and expense if you can't retrieve it.

Now, the second problem. Your original tach was calibrated to register 4 cylinders. The one you installed is calibrated to register 6 cylinders, so your combination will read 1/3 lower than actual rpm. At engine speed of 3000 rpm, you will be showing about 2000 rpm. You can remove the tach from your old instrument panel and swap it into your new one very easily. Just be aware that when removing the clear face plate of the instrument pod, there are two small screws hidden up underneath the top of the pod. They hold the face to the pod. Failure to remove them can break your lens.

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierofool

12811 posts
Member since Jan 2002
Beat me, Joe, while I was looking for a vss picture and cooking dinner.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Charlie! Hope all is well.

If the O/P were to switch out the tach, it would not be backlit like the rest of his gages.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Weren't only the 86 and later backlit? 85's were reflective. But I would bet since he said GT, he was referring to a fastback. Looking for that 120 mph speedometer.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2019 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
Now, the second problem. Your original tach was calibrated to register 4 cylinders. The one you installed is calibrated to register 6 cylinders, so your combination will read 1/3 lower than actual rpm. At engine speed of 3000 rpm, you will be showing about 2000 rpm. You can remove the tach from your old instrument panel and swap it into your new one very easily.

Do you happen to know where to find info on converting tachs? I have a tach with the oil pressue guage in it that I'de like to use and eliminate the center pod, I don't know if it was set up for a 4cl or 6 but if set up for a 4cl, I would like to convert it.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 06:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See olejoedad's first post. Jack Gunset in Kentucky can probably do what you need. Search memberlist for jgunsett and you can retrieve his contact info.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had assumed you new gages were from an 86 and up GT, they would be backlit, with needles that glow when the lights are on.

Are my assumptions correct?
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad,
Thanks for the differentiation on my gauge cluster. I believe my cluster is from a later year Fiero. Is there a good way to identify which year Fiero gauge cluster I own? Perhaps there is an identification code that I can use? So what I understand from fierofool, I need to take my early year ‘85 Fiero gauge cluster and carefully install all my the later year cluster parts? I think I have that correct? So if I do that, the VSS remove and replace issue is no longer applicable. Correct?
Cordially,
kevin
Ps. This would be a good time to paint my needles with a very bright orange. Maybe I can do LED bulbs......?

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 03-20-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the needles are illuminated with the lights on, it is 86 or newer.
120 speedo is 86 or newer.
There may be differences between the flexible circuit board on the back of the cluster between the early four cylinder and later V-6, due to the use of oil pressure or voltmeter on the main instrument panel in early year Fieros.
There is no real advantage to use LED in the instrument cluster.
The VSS stands for Vehicle Speed Sensor, and is not relevant to the discussion, as all Fiero speedometers work with the Fiero VSS, no matter if the speedo is 85 or 120 mph.
If you remove the needles to paint them, the gages may lose calibration due to the needles being reinstalled on the shaft in the wrong position.
If you paint the needles on the backlit gages, the needles may no longer glow.
PFF
System Bot
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad,
I appreciate your help regarding my tachometer issue in my ‘85 Duke 5 sp. What I am understanding is that I have to remove my newer ‘87-‘88 gauge cluster and replace it with my old ‘85 gauge ‘guts’. I will then incorporate all the newer ‘87/‘88 gauges into into my (older) ‘85 cluster. Just for clarification, my newer ‘87/‘88 tachometer reads a higher RPM not lower. In other words, at 55 mph, the ‘87/‘88 tachometer tachometer reads 4,500 at 55 mph. I’ll keep everybody up to date when I complete my retro swap.
Cordially,
kevin
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It reads higher because it recieves three pulses per engine revolution rather than two.
You may he able to use the complete 87 cluster with no issues, no need to change the guts.
Forum member jgunsett can recalibrate the six cylinder tach for use with the four cylinder engine.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2019 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With eveything properly converted, I can see a potential problem with over-revving the engine past it's 4500 redline when it has a 6500 redline tach in it. It may not be a problem with the current owner if you keep that in mind, but any guest or future owner could do damage to the engine. It's pretty easy to go past the redline in the first two gears. The best solution for the tach would be to try to secure one from a late model 4 cylinder. Maybe in the mall section.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2019 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can replace the resistor in the tach with a pot and "calibrate" it accordingly to what a scan tool reads from the ECM.

See here for all the poop on how to do the mod: http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/tach.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock