Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Help! Replacing lower intake. Any suggestions on better parts to replace?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Help! Replacing lower intake. Any suggestions on better parts to replace? by TheWonkiestThing
Started on: 03-17-2019 06:02 PM
Replies: 13 (334 views)
Last post by: TheWonkiestThing on 03-19-2019 09:30 PM
TheWonkiestThing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheWonkiestThingSend a Private Message to TheWonkiestThingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I just got this lovely 88 Formula 5 speed a year ago. I'm probably way to young to be into Fiero's as it was made 9 years before I was born but ever since my Dad told me about them (although he was more into F-Bodys) I couldn't stop wanting one. And so here we are, I got the replacement intake from eBay and all the necessary Fel-Pro gaskets. I would like to replace everything down there with either more reliable or better performing parts. I've already got all of the replacement cooling system sensors (180 thermostat with the fan switch, etc.) But have yet to buy any fuel system parts or air intake sensors. I've been looking at the Fiero store 17lb injectors and was wondering if they were worth it on a stock motor with bolt on. So any suggestions on any better performing parts would be greatly appreciated. Also some tips on things to look out for while I'm doing the work would help as well. I'm not a professional mechanic by any means just a lot of backyard mechanic stuff. I've done this sorta job on my s-10 so it's not completely untreaded waters for me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, you're never too young for a Fiero (Unless you are too young for a license). Welcome.

17# injectors are too heavy for the 2.8. It will probably run rich. I would suggest you send your stock injectors out to be cleaned and flow matched. It will run much better and will be cheaper than replacing them.

I would also suggest that you put a stock 195 thermostat in. You can install Rodney Dickmans low temp switch that turns the fan on at about 210, I think and then off at 200. With the 195 thermostat, that will keep the engine operating in the proper temp range and will kick on the cooling fan before temperature rises to a point that may be difficult to bring down. I'm running the 195 and 210 combiation in both my cars and it stopped overheating, even when sitting in Atlanta traffic. I originally had a 180 thermostat in my 86 and it just never got good gas mileage and the heater didn't heat very well.

While you have the intake off would be a good time to replace the troublesome plastic vacuum lines with Rodney Dickmans stainless steel lines as well as his replacement EGR tube. Both those items are likely to fail at some time and are more difficult to fix/replace later on.

TheWonkiestThing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheWonkiestThingSend a Private Message to TheWonkiestThingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you! Very helpful! Send the injectors where specifically? I'm guessing this is something I can't do myself. Yeah I agree with the 180 thermostat. Doesn't seem happy running at that temp.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the service I used. Don't know how they work yet b/c the engine is still in pieces, but the turnaround time was good.

Cruzin Performance
1509 N. Orchard Dr
Traverse City, MI 49686

Click here ...

[This message has been edited by Notorio (edited 03-17-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's one down my way.

https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF!

I'd be cautious about just changing parts for the sake of "improving reliability". Fiero parts are notorious for being DOA (dead on arrival). If you change too many parts without needing to, you can suddenly end up with multi-part failures that can be incredibly difficult to diagnose and correct. You should map out a plan of what you are actually trying to achieve.

Good luck with the project!
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Hey, you're never too young for a Fiero (Unless you are too young for a license). Welcome.

I got my first car when I was 14 (long story). It was also the first total I rebuilt...
Just say'in...
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do not cut the intake manifold gaskets!

Loosen the rockers and remove the pushrods!

Readjust the valves per Factory Service Manual specs!

Edit to add....

If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-18-2019).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another way to avoid cutting the lower intake gaskets and also avoid upsetting the adjustment of the valves is to get the Lisle Tools pushrod removal tool. The tool depresses the spring and swings the rocker off the pushrod. Just keep the pushrods in order so that they go back on the same valve.

https://www.lislecorp.com/s...ols/push-rod-remover

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 03-18-2019).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good suggestion by fierofool, but I would still check adjustment after assembly.
Someone before you may have misadjusted the valvetrain.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another tip. When replacing the lower intake manifold don't forget to add a small bit of RTV sealant in the corners of where the manifold sits in the area where the head meets the block.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
TheWonkiestThing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheWonkiestThingSend a Private Message to TheWonkiestThingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info! Now another question. Does anyone still do porting and polishing of all 3 intakes and boring out the throttle body?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The throttle bodies may still be available, not sure.

Porting and polishing is time consuming and therefore, expensive.
Most hobbiest's do their own work of this type, if they decide the gains are worth the effort.

The exhaust manifold and crossover pipe are restrictive, easy gains to be had by opening up the manifold restrictions and modifying the crossover.
There are several threads with the details here on the Forum.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-19-2019).]

TheWonkiestThing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheWonkiestThingSend a Private Message to TheWonkiestThingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The throttle bodies may still be available, not sure.

Porting and polishing is time consuming and therefore, expensive.
Most hobbiest's do their own work of this type, if they decide the gains are worth the effort.

The exhaust manifold and crossover pipe are restrictive, easy gains to be had by opening up the manifold restrictions and modifying the crossover.
There are several threads with the details here on the Forum.

I already have headers and a less restorative crossover pipe. I'd rather pay someone to do the porting and polishing. I have a machine shop right by me but I am unsure if they would do a decent job.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock