Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Insulation around engine bay...? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Insulation around engine bay...? by CSM842M4
Started on: 03-16-2019 06:52 PM
Replies: 41 (1560 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 03-11-2023 09:27 AM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While pondering building a replacement battery tray to replace the rust-eaten factory unit in my '86 GT, and looking for locations to secure it, I noticed that the front and sides of the engine bay are covered in the type of insulation normally found under the hoods of lesser automobiles. The purpose for this insulation, other than on the front wall, eludes me. Seems like it would best serve to trap water and assist in the rusting process, and that it could be replaced with a coating of some product like Lizard Skin (I promise this is not an endorsement or advertisement!) after the new battery tray was installed. Unless there's something I'm missing, which is entirely possible. Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

[This message has been edited by CSM842M4 (edited 03-16-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
06GTO

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 06GTOSend a Private Message to 06GTOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think if you search, you'll find most people remove it. I can imagine it serves a purpose though. I removed mine.
Egor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have found that it is great for rats to build nests on top of the manifold.

After a large amount of cleanup, I went with after market heat and sound deadening over the entire firewall.
Much better.

Egor

------------------

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ripped mine out completely when I had the motor out. 30 years of dirt and grime that stuff was disgusting.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CSM842M4:

I noticed that the front and sides of the engine bay are covered in the type of insulation normally found under the hoods of lesser automobiles. The purpose for this insulation, other than on the front wall, eludes me.

I believe it's primary purpose in the engine bay is for sound deadening. It's secondary purpose is to irritate the skin of anyone working around it back there.
CSM842M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think I gotta go with Patrick here, if only from a personal historical standpoint. All other responses also bear their own merit, though. And it sounds like it won't hurt a thing to pull it. It will pain me to alter the VERY stock nature of this particular car, but since I'm not putting a stock battery tray back in it, I guess I'm already going to do that... If I can remember to take pictures AND figure out how to upload them, I'll happily share the results.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I chose to take it all out and repaint the engine bay. The insulation plugs or restricts ventilation holes on each side. But I will say that the side may be for sound insulation, the front and rear need to have a good layer of insulation. I have seen luggage with melted and burned spots from being in the trunk.
Daryl M

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on replacing mine with new and doing tha wall between the engine compartment and the trunk as well. I am also insulation the exhaust system. Keeping the trunk cool and the passenger compartment quiet is a priority for me.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

...the front and rear need to have a good layer of insulation. I have seen luggage with melted and burned spots from being in the trunk.

With the trunk getting that hot, I'd be wondering if the factory metal heat shield between the muffler and trunk was missing (or damaged/incorrectly mounted and jammed up directly against the trunk).
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

With the trunk getting that hot, I'd be wondering if the factory metal heat shield between the muffler and trunk was missing (or damaged/incorrectly mounted and jammed up directly against the trunk).

On my last 2 engine swaps I doubled up the stock heat shieds. I used a heat reflecting insulation on the inside of the trunk under the carpet.
Through the years of searching wrecking yards for parts, I have seen several melted trunk carpets from the exhaust. The factory sound insulation under the carpet is discolored from heat.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2019 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On my last 2 engine swaps I doubled up the stock heat shields. I used a heat reflecting insulation on the inside of the trunk under the carpet.
Through the years of searching wrecking yards for parts, I have seen several melted trunk carpets from the exhaust. The factory sound insulation under the carpet is discolored from heat.

Did the same here. The heat shield with insulation under the trunk carpet keeps the trunk much cooler. As for the all that fiberglass insulation around the engine compartment; if you remove it you will hear more engine and exhaust noise. This is especially so if you have a short exhaust system for a swap..

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2019 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I believe it's primary purpose in the engine bay is for sound deadening. It's secondary purpose is to irritate the skin of anyone working around it back there.

Had to revive this old thread to say 'Good one, Patrick.' No more scratchy arms, out it comes ...
robymon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-04-2019 03:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robymonSend a Private Message to robymonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Egor:

I have found that it is great for rats to build nests on top of the manifold.

After a large amount of cleanup, I went with after market heat and sound deadening over the entire firewall.
Much better.

Egor

What brand/type of heat/sound deadening did you use?
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robymon:

What brand/type of heat/sound deadening did you use?

I would also like to know, thinking of removing mine when I swap in my donor GT motor.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2019 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 3800SC install, I removed all of the stock insulation, and replaced it with 1/4" thick Mighty Matt insulation. Very impressive stuff, easy to cut and mold to shape. Attached it with spray contact adhesive, and Aluminum Duct Tape to seal the edges. I left the fenders blank, but did cover the outside of the trunk. For sound deadening on the firewall, I installed RAAMmat BXT II. It has excellent adhesive properties in heat, and does a good job of sound insulation. Install the MightyMatt over the Raammat to help protect it from the heat.

------------------
'87 GT , '00 3800 Series II SC, 4t65e, Vue Power Steering. (SOLD)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2019 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I threw it away on all my Fieros. Its just a dirt and water collector. I never had a problem with items in trunk, although I wouldnt carry groceries there. I like to hear my engine myself. If quiet is a necessity, just put sound deadener like DynaMat on the inside, under the rear panel carpet, in the doors, and under the carpet. If you want quiet, buy a Cadillac, not a 'sports' car .

" I bought my Ferrari for the comfortable, quiet ride."
Egor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2019 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EgorSend a Private Message to EgorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry robymon & Vicophine, I've been out of town and haven't looked at the forum.

I found the receipt for the insulation (OReilly Auto), but the receipt was too smudged to read the part number or brand.
It came in sheets about 48" by 24" and cost $84 before taxes. This was enough to do the complete firewall. You would have double this to do the trunk.
It has a glue backing that makes it easy to install. The engine was out of my car when I installed the insulation, which made it pretty easy.
It would be tough to do with the engine in place.

Good luck

------------------

dwilsonfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2021 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwilsonflSend a Private Message to dwilsonflEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a similar issue with my 88GT and have been searching the forums to see what people have chosen to do. I absolutely want the original gone, but I hate to put something shiny in there when it was black originally. The black insulation I've seen looks to be for sound only. I'm more concerned with heat. Anyone looked at it from that perspective and has a recommend? Some of the threads are 5+ years old now and I'd like something that's up to date.

Thank you,

David
gone: 84 SE, 84 base auto, 85GT
here and in process: 1988 5speed GT
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the short exhaust system most of us 3800SC engine swap guys use the trunk gets very hot even with the heat shield. Eventually I will put some ceramic stove insulation between the shield and the trunk. It got so hot in there it distorted a small wheeled carry on a bit but it didn't harm the rug.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine is all ripped out right now, but I plan on using sound deadening material on the firewall. I don't need any heat shielding properties, so I can use any decent sound deadening material.
eti engineer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2021 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eti engineerSend a Private Message to eti engineerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LMAO!!! Tell me about it.!!! I learned to hate that stuff!! But mine was still in good shape, so I kept it, for whatever it's worth...
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2021 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you look to replace the engine bay insulation, make sure it is designed for the application.
There has been at least 1 3800 swapped Fiero burn to the ground because the aftermarket insulation came free and drooped down and rested on the exhaust.

Not all insulation products are designed for direct contact to an 800+ degree surface. I much prefer steel heat shields with a proper air gap for this reason.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2021 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sides are to block noise. From road noise to engine noise to damped the Strut Towers sheet metal acting as sound boards to echo and/or amplify any noise like guitar violin etc. bodies.

Firewall blanket and interior trim block engine heat and noise getting thru the wall. That's why many replace the firewall blanket w/ better material.

I chose to take it all out and repaint the engine bay. The insulation plugs or restricts ventilation holes on each side. But I will say that the side may be for sound insulation, the front and rear need to have a good layer of insulation. I have seen luggage with melted and burned spots from being in the trunk.
GT have "extra" vents that doesn't add much air flow but many think side insulation can block airflow. If anything, the Strut tower and hardware block most of the extra venting area over that.

"But engine bay is too hot"
Very unlikely... see Fiero Engine bay vs Heat. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html
Isn't hard to make temp recorder but need more parts then just ardinuo board that most won't buy for 1 time project. Can buy a temp meter w/ long thermocouple(s) so a helper can read while driving but most won't buy for same reason. (I have both and rarely use them and need to remove batteries to protect them.)

Hot Trunk... This often involves another "insulation type..." Heat Shields.

Many Shields are missing because some fool took them out or rotted and fell off. Shields block Exhaust IR heating whatever behind. Shield try to get hot but thin metal and airflow to 1 or both sides it can't get hot to pass heat to things protected.

2 large Shields front and back. May depend on engine have more too. Trunk wall for 4 cyl has 2nd smaller shied w/ a hole or knockout where AT dip tube goes thru. Haven't seen a V6 in decades to see if has same, different or no shield. If there, bolted to the wall w/ 3 or 4 self tappers only at top of the shield. If V6 had No Factory shied there then the mounting holes have no damage/treads by the bolts.

Even w/ all shield in place... Don't keep cold/freezing foods in the truck even for a few miles. Between engine/exhaust heat and sun/weather heating the trunk will melt frozen food fast, worse in "summer." Engine heat the trunk but weather > 80-90° and trunk heat doesn't go out fast or not at all. People put MSD box etc in the truck can have problems too. Hot trunk w/ parts that generate more heat is a bad idea. (Weather Heating and people trapped in a trunk for whatever reason is why newer cars have latch release pull knobs etc. required by DOT/NHTSA.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2023 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reviving this thread, because I'm curious if anyone came up with an alternative for the insulation?

I removed mine at one point back when my Fiero was running well, and it made a noticeable increase in sound in the cabin. It wasn't all good noise either... like, it didn't give a throaty roar inside, it was just louder, and I also definitely noticed increased road noise (like Ogre said). The only reason I removed it was because it was getting so ragged by ~2010, that it was starting to fall apart, and I just figured it was better not even being there at that point. It had enormous tree fasteners that I kept just in case I decided to replace it with something.

Like the OP on here, I was thinking about going with Lizardskin or something like that. Curious if anyone has done anything? Advance Auto sells rubber spray, which essentially does the same thing... and you can paint over it too. I did the entire undercarriage of my 1973 VW Bus, but not sure I want to do that in my Fiero's engine bay... looking for a classier solution.
sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2023 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
82-T/A Use a little caution with the rubber coating. It is not fireproof and might be an application that goes up in smoke. Just saying. sleek fiero
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2023 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am eyeballing this stuff: Heat Shield
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2023 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dynamat. Pricey but good.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2023 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used this stuff…

From Thermo Tec
https://www.thermotec.com/p...eat-sound-insulation

[This message has been edited by PhatMax (edited 03-03-2023).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

82-T/A Use a little caution with the rubber coating. It is not fireproof and might be an application that goes up in smoke. Just saying. sleek fiero

RGR, good point. Thanks Sleek!

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

I am eyeballing this stuff: Heat Shield

Oooh, that looks decent... it's VERY inexpensive too. I wonder what the weight is per square foot?

Lots of positive comments... though it says hood, so I don't know how well it would be to place it right on firewall inside of the engine bay facing the engine... but it does show someone with direct fire up against it, haha.

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Dynamat. Pricey but good.

I have a ton of this that someone gave me years ago... I've got to find it, but I assume this was mostly only for the inside?

Originally posted by PhatMax:

I used this stuff…

From Thermo Tec
https://www.thermotec.com/p...eat-sound-insulation

Seems pretty awesome, what's your experience been with it? Did you basically replace the old insulation (same shape / etc.)?

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ThermoTec product works very well, and the brackets on the firewall will keep it in place - no glueing needed.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thermo tec stuff is nice. It’s tough to cut…..I couldn’t burn it with just a lighter. They also sell the spray adhesive that is high temp. I only used it in spots that had a tight bend….but if you cut the brackets right it won’t fall off. At the moment I have not started the car after rebuild so I have no comment on heat and sound..
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anything that has a "tar" based backing I would not put in an engine bay; it will just melt and make a big mess.

PhatMax and Joe, thanks for the advice as I had forgotten about ThermoTec.

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 03-03-2023).]

Cajun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a template for the back firewall for cutting out insulation. If anyone wants to borrow I would be more that happy to send to you if you are willing to return if completed your project. I have loaned the template to several members in the past. I fact, I believe the template made it's round in Canada a few years back.

Cajun.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beside many things you could replace OE insulation will easily burn in the engine bay...
A lot of stuff will hold water, oil, etc or dissolve expose to any chemicals. Often then falls off in pieces on the Cat etc that can burn even flame safe insulation. Like fall on Exhaust pipes and Cat that runs > 600°F normally. If Burning oil, running too lean or rich, or other problems w/ a Cat can see Exhaust Temps > 1000°F.

Quick Example: Spray Rubber Undercoating/anti-noise products, Pro or DIY installed, can dissolve getting hit by leaking/spilled gas, oil, and other solvents. May not come off right away but gets weak and fails often at worse time.

"Fire Proof" stuff often have limits and will burn if sees exhaust hitting from a leak or fall on pipes.
Like "Fire Proof/Safe" stuff often will burn but self extinguish when another heat source is removed. Most kid cloths, "Plenum Rated" wiring, FR4 etc circuit boards and way more do this. Even DuPont Teflon, Nomex and Kevlar will burn but needs a lot of heat to start. (Or High O2 levels...)

Yes, OE stuff is a pain after 20-30+ years... but does things many other materials fails...
Like Most times OE Side "Insulation" holds dirt and looks bad now but not polluted water to rust the strut towers. If it does is because Way dirty and that dirt hold the water. Doesn't hold a lot of oil either unless oil leaking on it for months to years allowing oil and dirt to buildup.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used the thermotec material myself, it is good up to 2000*F, and does a great job with heat. I have no carpet or trim in my interior asides from the center console stuff, dash, and door panels, and the firewall would get HOT after pulling the nasty stock insulation out. I have no AC so this was an extra big problem. The Thermotec worked great.

Only recommendation I have is to find a good way to retain it at the top, even aluminum tape would work fine.
PhatMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhatMaxSend a Private Message to PhatMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you’re talking about the top where it folds underneath….mine had those big head plastic rivets across there. Same ones that hold the trunk carpet in place. I believe there were 3.. Thermotec has the high temp spray glue….seems to hold pretty well.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2023 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

I have a template for the back firewall for cutting out insulation. If anyone wants to borrow I would be more that happy to send to you if you are willing to return if completed your project. I have loaned the template to several members in the past. I fact, I believe the template made it's round in Canada a few years back.

Cajun.

I'd love to see this as a printable.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2023 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PhatMax:

If you’re talking about the top where it folds underneath….mine had those big head plastic rivets across there. Same ones that hold the trunk carpet in place. I believe there were 3.. Thermotec has the high temp spray glue….seems to hold pretty well.

I use the three big push plugs as well as aluminum foil tape to retain the top folded edge, and also the bottom.
No glue, the stock attachment standoffs retain then insulation well if the insulation is "tabbed" to fit under them.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2023 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's really not bad making a template with some thin cardboard, that is what I did. I used the dirty thumb trick where you put your cardboard over the feature or edge you need to cut around, and rub your dirty thumb over it and the outline will show up in grease. Doesn't need to be perfect, you can add masking tape or duct tape etc to fix any mistakes or make any holes that are too large or offset to line up properly.

I think I used cereal boxes and made the template in pieces that I taped together at the end once they all fit.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2023 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

I have used the thermotec material myself, it is good up to 2000*F, and does a great job with heat. I have no carpet or trim in my interior asides from the center console stuff, dash, and door panels, and the firewall would get HOT after pulling the nasty stock insulation out. I have no AC so this was an extra big problem. The Thermotec worked great.

Only recommendation I have is to find a good way to retain it at the top, even aluminum tape would work fine.

LOL! I'm going to be in MA next week... going to be driving through "Woosta" MA as I visit my old prep middle school in Deerfield, MA.

Gonna hit all the typical spots... night on the town in Greenfield, the Yankee Candle Company... Salem, Plymouth Rock, Chappaquiddick... where I'll tell my daughter about this guy named Ted Kennedy, and then after a quick jaunt to Acadia National Park in Maine, I'll head back for some sausage at Faniel Hall!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock