86 with an 88 cradle - rear brakes question by tnkgnr
Started on: 03-14-2019 07:24 PM
Replies: 5 (461 views)
Last post by: cvxjet on 03-15-2019 07:53 PM
tnkgnr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there,

I've got an 86, 5-speed, 3.4l pr. I bought the vehicle with an 88 cradle with the front 88 brakes on the rear.

I'd like to have a parking brake back. So my question is - will the parking brake cables for the 86 be okay for 88 brakes (I assume not, since Fiero Store sells different cables for the 88). I assume replacement stock 88 brakes should bolt right on (ie there wasn't any modification need to get the fronts to the back, right?).

Appreciate any help you can give to clear this up for me. Thanks,

Greg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parking brake cables cross over the cradle at the rear of the 84-87 and the front of the 88. Completely different setup with different lengths, so the "easy" (not cheap) solution is to just get the three 88 cables and install the rear 88 calipers.
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me!
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tnkgnr

260 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Sigh...I guess the trick now is finding a place that has them (calipers) in stock.

da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't there a thread recently that talked about alternative parking brake options? It was more for relocation of the parking brake lever but I believe also included ideas that didn't include cables so you could leave what you currently have on.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
None of the parts houses have 88 rear calipers- but, Centric will rebuild yours if you send it to them(And you have some rear calipers) ...Call their Tech line. What you really need is to find an 88 in the junkyard and take off the calipers. No 88 calipers should be allowed to go to the crusher...Grab them when you see them- Anyone with an 88, but even other Fiero guys should be willing to go grab them. The Fiero Factory in Toney, Alabama or the Las Vegas Fiero club may be able to supply you with some rear 88 calipers.....

I checked "Row52" which is a good junkyard inventory site......Within 500 miles you only have an 87 and some 86s........

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock