Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Is there a fix for ground control coil overs?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Is there a fix for ground control coil overs? by Meatpiemonday
Started on: 03-14-2019 05:50 PM
Replies: 7 (219 views)
Last post by: Meatpiemonday on 03-15-2019 08:13 AM
Meatpiemonday

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeatpiemondaySend a Private Message to MeatpiemondayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am aware now that I made a mistake in buying these coilovers but they cost me alot of money to buy and to have shipped to where I live, so I would like to use them and was hoping that there is a fix for the sleeve being too short. I have seen pictures of a spacer but I dont know how tall it should be. Any help is appreciated
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pictures would be helpful to know what it is you are dealing with.

If it is the rear and the only issue is the short sleeve, then you might be able to mount the sleeve on the weld bead from the stock spring perch (only works with a 10" spring or shorter), or pick up some 2" ID exhaust tubing and make a spacer sleeve.
Meatpiemonday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeatpiemondaySend a Private Message to MeatpiemondayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its the rears that im doing and unfortunately I dont have a picture but the sleeves that came with the ground control assembly slide over my kyb struts and sit on the purch. Once I adjust the lock nut to its full height to the top of the sleeve my spring is still loose. You mentioned a spacer would you know how tall it should be
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can adjust the spring perch all the way up on the adjuster sleeve and still isn't high enough, then start with the spacer being the same length as the available adjustment in the adjuster sleeve.

You must be running some super short springs 8" or less.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What he's dealing with is a complete pain in the ass. I had the same issue. Basically, they make the spring so short that even with the nut cranked all the way to the top, if you jack up the car, the spring falls out of the perch. I had to cut a 2.5" exhaust piece and use it as a spacer as seen in black:

I've since gone to full length coilovers like the photo from fieroguru.
Meatpiemonday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeatpiemondaySend a Private Message to MeatpiemondayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is my issue! If these coil overs didnt cost as much as they did, I would totally toss them and go in a different direction. How tall is that black spacer if you had to guess? I am starting to put this basket of nuts and bolts back together again this weekend I will make up a piece of pipe so I can install those coil overs
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe they were 2 inches tall.
Meatpiemonday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeatpiemondaySend a Private Message to MeatpiemondayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

I believe they were 2 inches tall.

Thank you!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock