84 Blown Head Gasket questions by ascii23
Started on: 03-14-2019 09:05 AM
Replies: 6 (117 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-16-2019 06:38 PM
ascii23

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ascii23Send a Private Message to ascii23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello! I currently have 2 "parts" fieros with different issues. The one I'm hoping to rebuild has a blown head gasket, and the donor motor burns an impressive amount of oil. When I replace the head gasket, should I pull the head off the donor motor and use that head, or should I just replace the head gasket and use the current head.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your donor motor burns oil why? You can't assume the head is OK.
ascii23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ascii23Send a Private Message to ascii23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Your donor motor burns oil why? You can't assume the head is OK.

No idea, just has the symptoms of burning oil.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you should do a leak down and a compression test to get sense of what is going on with each.
You could have piston ring issues, valve problems ,or both.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To the OP I say pull the cleaner looking head, check it for leakage and straightness. If within spec install it on the engine with a new head gasket. Then do a cylinder leakdown test or even a compression test. That will tell you the quality of the piston ring seal but nothing about the rod bearings. Checking those would require pulling the oil pan and checking every rod for looseness.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ascii23

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ascii23Send a Private Message to ascii23Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

To the OP I say pull the cleaner looking head, check it for leakage and straightness. If within spec install it on the engine with a new head gasket. Then do a cylinder leakdown test or even a compression test. That will tell you the quality of the piston ring seal but nothing about the rod bearings. Checking those would require pulling the oil pan and checking every rod for looseness.

Thanks!
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you pull the head because of a blown head gasket, have the head CUT 5-10/1000 to make sure it's not warped (I'd check for cracks also), then Definitely use Premium Gasket and NEW BOLTS.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock