Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Help! Rebuilding '88 rar calipers, and broke the hardened washers...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Help! Rebuilding '88 rar calipers, and broke the hardened washers... by Boozeman
Started on: 03-13-2019 08:05 PM
Replies: 6 (184 views)
Last post by: Boozeman on 03-14-2019 04:25 PM
Boozeman

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I followed Silicoan86's "piston in a piston" rebuild thread, and got as far as disassembling the brake pistons. I used my drill press for disassembly, which worked really well, but apparently the socket I was using was slightly too small, and I broke one of the hardened washers during disassembly. I'm not very good at this yet, be here goes:

[url=https://photos.app.goo.gl/musywst3e98pQm4AA][/url]

Can anyone tell me where to find replacements? I hate for the car to be down for very long...

Thanks in advancefor the help. Still a newbie, but learning all the time!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boozeman

68 posts
Member since Feb 2019
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are new complete rear pistons for the 84-87. I think they are the same as the 88's but someone else needs to confirm this. I know nothing about 88's.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140716.html

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 03-13-2019).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Pretty sure you are going to need find a washer company to replace that piece.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Call MacMaster-Carr or Grainger and tell them the exact measurements and that it is a hardened washer....They can probably supply it.

Also, if you own an 88, you should be checking on "Row 52" for local Junk yards having 88 fieros, then go down and grab a spare set of calipers...Don't allow 88 calipers to go to the crusher!
Boozeman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoozemanSend a Private Message to BoozemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

I didn't know about Row 52 - that's pretty cool. Unfortunately, nobody within 500 miles of me with a Pontiac Fiero!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock