Fuel pump? by Habanera Hal
Started on: 03-09-2019 08:56 PM
Replies: 21 (363 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 03-16-2019 01:15 PM
Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, my Formula let me down for the first time today. I opened it up WOT on a short stretch of country road coming home. When I backed off, the motor (stock 2.8) started stumbling. It felt like it was running out of gas.(tank is 3/4 full) I was able to nurse it almost home when it died completely. It wants to turn over, but just doesn't fire. The tow truck driver (oh, the horror!) thought it was probably the fuel pump, though you can hear it clicking on and off. I'm wondering if the action of the WOT may have possibly sucked some debris from the bottom of the tank, clogging the pump? We parked it on a front-down angle in my driveway, and I'll try starting it tomorrow. Since moving, I'm woefully short on tools, no floor jack, ramps, or jack stands. Plus my HOA does not allow mechanical work to be done in driveways.

Any suggestions to diagnose the problem before I wind up having it towed again to a mechanic?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Advice from a tow truck driver?...really?
Let us know if you know how to check the ignition, or if you already have done that.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2019 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coil could have gotten hot on your WOT run. Car will probably start up and run as normal until you get the coil nice and hot again. Fuel pumps tend to just die out of the blue and not show signs of slow failure from what I have seen and read.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your engine starts again when it's cold, I'd suspect the ICM.

Easiest thing to do to see if you have any fuel pressure (if that's what you suspect) is to depress the Schrader valve in the fuel rail and see if gas at least squirts out.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-11-2019).]

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went out and tried to start it this morning. No go. The fuel pump DEFINITELY sounded different - like it was running dry. When I turned the key, it tried to fire for a millisecond, then nothing.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A shot of starting fluid in the throttle body would confirm your diagnosis, or test that Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Key on....press the center pin and fuel should squirt out 2 or 3 feet. Have some towels handy and wear eye protection.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, a shot of starting fluid through the air filter canister got it to fire briefly but roughly. Pardon my ignorance, but where is this Schrader valve of which you speak? A photo with a pointer would be a great help.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks like a bicycle tire valve, but with a nicer metal cap.

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2019 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! Will check it out tomorrow.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2019 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Advice from a tow truck driver?...really?

They see broken cars all day long including the occasional Fiero. Based on the symptoms, even if he's wrong it was still good advice and checking fuel pressure and maybe replacing the filter is good practice.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2019 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fiero2m4Fastback

160 posts
Member since Sep 2017

Originally posted by Patrick:

If your engine starts again when it's cold, I'd suspect the ICM.

I've had fuel pumps do it too literally just replaced a walbro that was doing it. Regardless, diagnostics don't tell you as much if it starts up and runs fine, Buying a good ICM and having a spare in the car with the tools is never a bad idea anyway. If you've never had it out, get some heat sink compound and put it in, mine was bone dry a few weeks ago when I checked mine, PO replaced the dist but didn't bother to replace the Oring or check the ICM.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2019 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero2m4Fastback:

...even if he's wrong it was still good advice and checking fuel pressure and maybe replacing the filter is good practice.

Yeah... and if the fuel pressure is low, try replacing the fuel filter before dropping the gas tank. You never know, might just be that simple to repair.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, now I can officially call myself an idiot.

Add "Fix Fuel Gauge" to the list.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

So that being said, my gauge is (apparently) stuck at 3/4 full.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

So that being said, my gauge is (apparently) stuck at 3/4 full.

So it didn't seem a little odd to you that the ol' Fiero was getting an amazing amount of mileage on a quarter tank of gas?

I always reset my trip odometer whenever I fill up... in order to hopefully avoid this type of situation.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So it didn't seem a little odd to you that the ol' Fiero was getting an amazing amount of mileage on a quarter tank of gas?

I always reset my trip odometer whenever I fill up... in order to hopefully avoid this type of situation.

No, not really. I've only owned the car for a couple of months and it's a weekend toy. I've only put fuel in it once, and haven't driven it much so wasn't really thinking the gauge was bad. But yes, I do feel stupid and embarrassed. Not the first time, probably not the last.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But yes, I do feel stupid and embarrassed.

The fuel gauges are terrible on this car.....nearly everyone has to deal with this....usually the gauge is stuck at 1/4, but it should be the first thing we mention to new Fiero owners no matter what they think is wrong.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-12-2019).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

...usually the gauge is stuck at 1/4, but it should be the first thing we mention to new Fiero owners no matter what they think is wrong.....

Habanera Hal has been registered here since April of 2012. We can be forgiven for not thinking he was a newb.
arbakken

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arbakkenSend a Private Message to arbakkenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be worse. In tank fuel pump wires had a loose connection, and the wires were routed in the way of the float. When I filled it with gas, the float bumped the wires, lost contact, and the car died.
Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Habanera Hal has been registered here since April of 2012. We can be forgiven for not thinking he was a newb.

It's okay, while I bought my first Fiero back in '89 (an 86 GT), and 2 more later on (84 2M4 and 88 Formula), this is my first one in 25 years, so thinking about how much I've forgotten, I can be considered a newb!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2019 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...thinking about how much I've forgotten, I can be considered a newb!

As I get older, I'm suspecting I might be developing the same problem.
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2019 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
look at it this way, At least the tank is EMPTY,( to remove the tank and replace the sender !) when you replace the sender, Replace the Pump and use a High grade Fuel inj submersible HOSE. Not my favorite job, I have been putting it off on my white car for a year ! LOL

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock