Erratic RPM gauge and stalls by kjelle69
Started on: 02-28-2019 07:46 AM
Replies: 8 (277 views)
Last post by: kjelle69 on 03-20-2019 05:32 PM
kjelle69

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1988 GT auto and recently I've had some strange behaviour.

The rpm needle jumps around when I let off the gas. (Just sometimes, not always)
Sometimes when this happens the engine stalls completely and it's hard to start again.
Then suddenly the engine pops on and runs perfect again.

Can it be signs of a failing ICM ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pull tach filter then try again
See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, but does a faulty tach filter really make the engine stop and die?
I have read that a lot of people even remove the tach filter and continue to drive, this made me more suspicious about the ICM.

Originally posted by theogre:

pull tach filter then try again
See my Cave, HE Ignition

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kjelle69:
Ok, but does a faulty tach filter really make the engine stop and die?
That and worse can kill ICM, HEI Coil, etc because when the tack parts "die" can causing them to overheat and kill them too.

Ignition doesn't care if tach and filter are not connected but People bypass the filter so OE tach still works can have same problem w/ iffy tach or wiring to the tach. Most Aftermarket Tach can have same problems too.

So just remove the filter and check again then leave filter off trying to fix what else maybe wrong because tach parts may still be bad.
When you fix whatever then try using tach again.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take a close look at the connections on the ICM for corrosion and tightness.
Flying_Dan

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2019 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Flying_DanSend a Private Message to Flying_DanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Similar happened to me not that long ago. Wound up being the connections at the coil (V6). The little safety tab broke allowing the connector to back out a little. Engine would pop-fart a little, tach jumped around a little. Engine stalled a few times, hard to start etc.

Temp fix was a zip tie to keep the connector seated.
kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2019 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, I think I found the problem.
Look at the rotors, the spark gap was way to big on the old one. When I changed distrubutor and rotor to New MSD's from Fiero store the car seems to run just fine again :-)

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2019 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok... Update again.
Had to push the car a couple of blocks to get it home after work since it stalled again after a series of jumps of the tach.
After this it was completely dead. No spark at all.

When we finally got it home we changed the ICM and directly after this the car started up fine again. Soo. I really hope that the ICM was the final solution to this frustrating problem. :-)

kjelle69

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2019 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kjelle69Click Here to visit kjelle69's HomePageSend a Private Message to kjelle69Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock