Add bluetooth to OEM radio by damittron
Started on: 02-22-2019 02:14 PM
Replies: 14 (861 views)
Last post by: seq on 03-15-2019 02:26 PM
damittron

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for damittronSend a Private Message to damittronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found this service on eBay - wondering if anyone here has done this, or had it done.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bl...tiac%7CModel%3AFiero

Not my listing - just saw it and made me wonder if anyone has experience with it.

D.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2019 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a non Fiero specific vendor. The factory Fiero radio is so inadequate. The next gen Pontiac radio is far superior (has CD with an EQ) and looks like it belongs. Search the mall here there are people who sell a modded one with an mp3 jack on the front. I have one and I plug a bluetooth receiver into it and I really like it. You should look in the mall here.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hot take: the newer units look horrible against the rest of the stock interior aesthetic.

The "high-end" radio option for the Fiero used the same Caddy radio in that listing, just with the Pontiac-specific faceplate. The Blaupunkt cassette decks in those were very finicky but good if maintained. I've not used this service but I'm debating it, I still rock actual tapes but it would be nice to not need the cassette adapter for streaming anymore.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.amazon.com/ION-...s%2Caps%2C141&sr=8-3

This is a really cheap way to do it. Mine lasts for about 8 hours on the battery
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had one of those, it fried before the first song could finish. My guess is they don't like the heat from the lamps.
Nickoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NickomanSend a Private Message to NickomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jonrev:

I had one of those, it fried before the first song could finish. My guess is they don't like the heat from the lamps.

Hmm that has not been my experience, and I use mine all the time.
Zeb

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2019 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZebSend a Private Message to ZebEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As long as you don't mind using an FM transmitter type, I've really liked mine. Sounds as good as any FM station.
Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-12-2019 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It can be done, it's not hard, you just need the right parts or you can eliminate the tape deck. There's a tutorial or two in adding a aux-in if you dig around here on the forum.

[This message has been edited by Fiero2m4Fastback (edited 03-12-2019).]

seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped to a newer pontiac monsoon unit with support for a CD changer, and used this adapter with this device to get a behind-the-dash aux in. I then used a 12v/3.5mm bluetooth dongle on it. It worked okay, but wasn't the best solution. (FWIW, the radio still looks stock-ish since it uses the standard Pontiac Greys).

If I was to do it again I'd just use this antenna adapter. It's "like" an FM adapter, in that you tune your radio to a specific frequency, and you get audio output from your phone. However, it actually physically connects in-line with your antenna, so you don't get any interference issues when driving around (or going into/out of other areas). It's also got bluetooth (+ mic) support built-in.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 03-14-2019).]

Fiero2m4Fastback

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-14-2019 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero2m4FastbackSend a Private Message to Fiero2m4FastbackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, there appears to be something wrong with the image in your Wal-Mart link.
migs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for migsSend a Private Message to migsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That pricing is crazy for what is involved. I bought a NOS early 2000 Pontiac Delco tape deck since it matches the interior perfectly and then I looked around until I found that guys with F body's do the aux in modification all the time using $10 of parts. From there its either just use a short 3.5mm plug for your device or get one of those BT dongle setups if you can't be bothered. Works like a factory input and none of the shortcomings of antennae adapters etc.
PFF
System Bot
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2019 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by migs:

That pricing is crazy for what is involved. I bought a NOS early 2000 Pontiac Delco tape deck since it matches the interior perfectly and then I looked around until I found that guys with F body's do the aux in modification all the time using $10 of parts. From there its either just use a short 3.5mm plug for your device or get one of those BT dongle setups if you can't be bothered. Works like a factory input and none of the shortcomings of antennae adapters etc.

I've got an AUX-in as well, but I found I didn't like the wire hanging around the cabin. Additionally, I'd have to plug/unplug the wire when I wanted to use the radio. And unfortunately, phones have also downgraded their outputs, and my current phone doesn't have a 3.5mm output anyway.

What I paid was a bit excessive (although I bought when everything was on decent sales), but the $75 for the in-line bluetooth antenna adapter seems reasonable to outfit a car with an unmodified head unit and provide a very modern hands-free bluetooth functionality with no additional wires to juggle.
rkirkpatrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rkirkpatrickSend a Private Message to rkirkpatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a blue tooth broadcaster at Wal-mart at X-mas. Plug into cigarette lighter...choose an used frequency on radio...It connects to your phone in seconds...Boom ..Bluetooth.

$15.....And it is a charging port...
Threedog

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If money is not much of an issue, I would recommend this. I have had it for a few years now and it works great, you can change the lights to amber and it blends with the Fiero interior perfectly. It has every function you could want, and it has a rear USB/AUX input(I really hated having wires sticking out of radios) so I was able to run another line under the center console so if I did have to plug something in I could hide it. Also, when I ordered from Crutchfield they sent me all the hook up materials and mounting brackets for free..

The only problem is that the lights do not dim with the switch, it has to be done manually through the radio, but I just set it to low and forgot about it. It
seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2019 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:Also, when I ordered from Crutchfield they sent me all the hook up materials and mounting brackets for free..

I can also recommend crutchfield. Bought an android auto head unit + reverse camera for my wife's Accent. It cost a bit more than some other places for the unit itself, but it included the pigtail adapter, mounting bracket, facia, and a few other extras that would have cost me more to put together individually.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock