Series 3 3800sc Swap Question by McMatt12
Started on: 02-16-2019 04:37 PM
Replies: 8 (897 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 02-19-2019 01:47 PM
McMatt12

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2019 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McMatt12Send a Private Message to McMatt12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the chance to buy a 3800 for my swap on my 86 but its the series 3. From what I have read the series 2 is the more desirable option. What problems would I be facing using a series 3 instead of a 2?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2019 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Series II 3800 is a drive by wire engine. You can use it for a swap by changing the throttle body to the earlier style (Cable operated TB) with an adapter plate and wiring for a series II harness. If you want to use the automatic right side rear trans mount is different (2003-up) and only the 2003 PCM will shift it. If you go stick then any year 96-2002 PCM will run it. Some minor tuning is needed just to adjust the PE fueling to the series III engine but anyone with an editor program can do it. .

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-18-2019).]

McMatt12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2019 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McMatt12Send a Private Message to McMatt12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is reassuring. Looks like I'm in the market for a throttle body and harness now. Anything else I should prepare for?
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2019 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McMatt12:

That is reassuring. Looks like I'm in the market for a throttle body and harness now. Anything else I should prepare for?

A lot of fun! BTW, I do have a Series III converted from drive by wire to cable so my comment is based on real experience.

Nelson
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2019 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drive by wire isn't something to be scared of... I certainly wouldn't do more work and spend more money to eliminate it.
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2019 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The transmission matters. If you are using the 4t65e, the PCM and transmission have to match. If you convert to drive by cable and use a series 2 PCM, you would need a 4t65e from a series 2 car as well.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All 3800 Series 3 engines use drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle bodies.

Most 3800 Series 2 engines use cable-op throttle bodies, with a very few exceptions (notably: 99-02 F-body).

The problem with the DBW PCMs involves an issue in being able to turn off certain abuse modes in the tune in order to prevent the PCM from "shutting down" the throttle if you try to floor it from a dead stop. I've run into this several times on swaps using Series 3 DBW PCMs and could not correct it with the tuning software I had available at the time that works with these PCMs (HP Tuners). It has been several years since I've tried to tune any Series 3 PCM for a swap so I do not know if HP Tuners added an option to disable whatever function was causing the engine power limiting at take off issue. Another issue with Series 3 PCMs is VATS, and last time I messed with one HP Tuner's was not able to disable it in the tune (again, that was several years ago).

Converting a Series 3 engine over to use a cable-op throttle body (and earlier PCM) is not difficult. All you need is an adapter plate, throttle body, and the older harness and computer. If you are using a 4T65-E trans that came with the Series 3 engine, then you will need to use a 2003-05 Series 2 PCM when converting to cable-op TB control. 2002-older PCMs will not work with a 2003-newer 4T65-E because of electrical changes GM made to these transmissions starting in the 2003 model year.

I recommend to all my tuning customers to convert a Series 3 over to cable-op TB control for engine swap purposes so the inherent problems associated with the use of the Series 3 PCM can be avoided.

Again, I have not attempted to tune a Series 3 PCM in a few years for a swap so I do not know if HP Tuners added options that would be able to disable VATS and the "take-off power limiter" in these PCMs. Last I read, HP Tuners said they were no longer doing any development work on ANY 3800 applications because they claim it is a "dead end".

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

McMatt12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2019 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for McMatt12Send a Private Message to McMatt12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still piecing together what I'll need, but it's coming along. The transmission coming with the engine came off of the series 3, so would it be worth getting the series 3 transmission and PCM all in one or should I find a series 2 transmission and PCM to use instead?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2019 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by McMatt12:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still piecing together what I'll need, but it's coming along. The transmission coming with the engine came off of the series 3, so would it be worth getting the series 3 transmission and PCM all in one or should I find a series 2 transmission and PCM to use instead?

Get the transmission that came attached to the Series 3 engine you found. You can still use it even if you convert to a cable-op throttle body and Series 2 PCM. You'll just need to use a 2003-05 Series 2 PCM to be compatible with the newer trans that came with the Series 3 engine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock