power/ fuel cut out at 3,800 RPM by ophidians lair
Started on: 02-13-2019 03:03 PM
Replies: 14 (306 views)
Last post by: ophidians lair on 02-16-2019 11:00 AM
ophidians lair

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ophidians lairClick Here to visit ophidians lair's HomePageSend a Private Message to ophidians lairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Guys,

First time posting, I've been using this site as a resource for years. Thank you for your information. My question/problem involves my 1984 Fiero with a stock iron duke. The car starts, runs, and idles fine until it gets to 3,800 RPM. Once it gets there the engine begins to sputter and lose power until I back off the throttle and get the RPMs down, then it is ok again. Recently, (summer 2018) during an acceleration I allowed it to remain above the "3,800 limit" and the oil pressure switch let loose and the engine pumped oil straight to the ground through the hole in the oil sending unit.

I've searched the site and gathered information about the oil switch providing power to the fuel relay and all the opinions about the reasons. As far as I can tell the car is losing fuel pressure at 3,880 for some reason, (maybe the fuel pump and the oil switch are cutting out in that moment)?

Engine is still ok and I replaced the oil switch. All is normal except it still can't be run above 3,800 RPM. Do you have any idea what is happening and how to fix it?
Thanks all,
Sam
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First replace the fuel filter . If that's not impeding the fuel flow, it really sounds like a plugged up/clogged CAT. Is the CAT original to the car?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-13-2019).]

ophidians lair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ophidians lairClick Here to visit ophidians lair's HomePageSend a Private Message to ophidians lairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into it. I believe it is still the original CAT.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ophidians lair:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into it. I believe it is still the original CAT.

A CAT that old is likely to have collapsed internally and caused a restriction. . Its a common problem on these cars. That's the reason many don't use them.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would check the ignition system.

A clogged cat usually is apparent at lower RPM.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you in park?
There's a 4k RPM limiter. I fell for the same problem. Shift to neutral.
ophidians lair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ophidians lairClick Here to visit ophidians lair's HomePageSend a Private Message to ophidians lairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have changed ignition control module, d.cap, plugs and wires. Didn't go away.

This occurs while driving. Would a rev limiter still activate on the road underway?

Thanks,
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have changed ignition control module, d.cap, plugs and wires. Didn't go away.

This occurs while driving. Would a rev limiter still activate on the road underway?

Thanks,

You didn't replace the coil.
I would suspect the coil first, due to the rpm that your problem occurs.
ophidians lair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ophidians lairClick Here to visit ophidians lair's HomePageSend a Private Message to ophidians lairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, coil too. I had to use the stock coil. Apparently the '84 can't be upgraded.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pull tach filter and try again.

Any HEI park weak or Fuel problem can do this. Iffy HEI timing doesn't help.

84 coil needs good ground to engine block via mounting hardware. Coil can be updated but need 85 plug. Don't brother w/ any "performance" coils including Accel and MSD. Get Standard or Wells or best store brand thru local stores. Example AZ HEI parts are often Wells parts.

See my Cave, HE Ignition

OE Duke uses "pebble bed" cat and won't plug most times. Not like monolithic cats that easily plug or break. If the "bed frame" inside fails then pebbles might move and plug the muffler. easily check of iffy exhaust w/ exhaust pressure gauge reads ~ 5 - 8 PSI max.
quick example from google search https://www.amazon.com/Tool...essure/dp/B0002SQW9S

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought you had a 3800 in the car.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction SOLD

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

88GT resurrection in progress.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

1984 Fiero with a stock iron duke. The car starts, runs, and idles fine until it gets to 3,800 RPM. Once it gets there the engine begins to sputter and lose power...

How have you confirmed this "3,800 RPM"? You can't trust the 35 year old factory tach.

Keeping in mind the red line on the duke is only 4500 RPM, perhaps you're actually over-revving it.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
How have you confirmed this "3,800 RPM"? You can't trust the 35 year old factory tach.

Keeping in mind the red line on the duke is only 4500 RPM, perhaps you're actually over-revving it.
Yes, can't trust many dash gauges not just the tach for even newer cars. Scan the ECM or use a "Shop Tach" to see if Dash Tach # are real.

Many Brand New cars still use resistivity senders/sensors for fuel and temp gauges even tho dash is run by BCM and/or PCM (ECM w/ full trans control) so gauges can lie when have sender or wiring problems.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2019 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quoted from the original posting....

"I've searched the site and gathered information about the oil switch providing power to the fuel relay and all the opinions about the reasons. As far as I can tell the car is losing fuel pressure at 3,880 for some reason, (maybe the fuel pump and the oil switch are cutting out in that moment)?"

To clarify how this circuitry works....

The power for the fuel pump is provided via two sources, the fuel pump relay and the pressure switch in the oil pressure sending unit.
The power is provided to both via the fuel pump fuse with the key ON.
During initial KEY ON, the ECU signals the fuel pump relay to energize for a few seconds to pressurize the fuel system, and then when the ECU detects engine start, the ECU re-energizes the fuel pump relay and keeps it energized to run the fuel pump continuously.
When oil pressure rises, the pressure switch in the oil pressure sending unit closes, also providing a power source for the fuel pump.
This redundantcy allows the fuel pump to operate if the fuel pump relay fails.
The pressure switch in the oil pressure sending unit WILL NOT kill the fuel pump if oil pressure drops, as the ECU has the fuel pump relay energized continuously during engine operation.
Additionally, if the fuel pump relay fails, the pressure switch in the oil pressure sending unit allows the fuel pump to operate as long as there is oil pressure, in order to allow the car to continue on, avoiding a breakdown. The car will also restart, although the cranking period will be longer, as the engine must build oil pressure to close the pressure switch to activate the fuel pump.

I hope this helps in the understanding of this circuitry.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-15-2019).]

ophidians lair

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2019 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ophidians lairClick Here to visit ophidians lair's HomePageSend a Private Message to ophidians lairEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I will be looking into them. I will keep you updated on progress.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock