Fuel Pump Seized? by lordxchris
Started on: 02-13-2019 02:42 PM
Replies: 9 (393 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 02-20-2019 05:43 PM
lordxchris

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordxchrisSend a Private Message to lordxchrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone I just picked up a 85 GT and after fixing a few other problems (ECM, bad ground from battery) It still wont start. The Check Engine Light comes on now after fixing the ECM, Fuel pump relay comes on. I was also told the tank and pump are new the tank looks new and the fuel lines look new as well. So i tried jumping the fuel pump relay and i hear the pump "click" like it wants to come on but it does not hum like it should if working so I'm 99.9998% sure it is stuck does anyone have any input? I put 15$ in the tank as well so i know its got plenty of gass could it possibly be anything else? are there any tricks to maybe get it unstuck aside from banging on the tank lol.

UPDATE: it was, replaced and chasing more problems now.

[This message has been edited by lordxchris (edited 02-13-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you may be hearing the relay click....not the pump.
lordxchris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordxchrisSend a Private Message to lordxchrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

you may be hearing the relay click....not the pump.

I bypassed the relay so this is not the case. I just dropped the tank outside in a foot of snow in the cold cause f%#$ it and sure as S^$% the pump is seized and rusted to hell good thing i have a new tank now im stuck waiting on a pump.

Daryl M

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daryl MSend a Private Message to Daryl MEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before you put it back together, make sure the pump and the fuel guage work. I hate doing a job twice because I didn't test before reassembling. 😁😁😁
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Daryl just gave some sound advice there. I had to drop mine again because I thought i checked everything but I was wrong. ha

BTW I hate working in the cold as well!
lordxchris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordxchrisSend a Private Message to lordxchrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Daryl M:

Before you put it back together, make sure the pump and the fuel guage work. I hate doing a job twice because I didn't test before reassembling. 😁😁😁

I IDIDNT EVEN CHECK THE GAUGE lol how would i go about making sure its correct? It reads like half a tank and im positive there is less then a quarter tank however the car is jacked up more in the back then the front, I got the tank "in" im having trouble with the straps tho they dont seem to reach not sure if the tank has to go up an inch or 2 more but it wont budge and both pairs of lines to each side are out of the way so i cant see what would be holding it back. But it does get fuel now but that little line next to the fuel pressure regulator (cold start injector line if im not mistaken?) is leaking.

USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lordxchris:

I IDIDNT EVEN CHECK THE GAUGE lol how would i go about making sure its correct? It reads like half a tank and im positive there is less then a quarter tank however the car is jacked up more in the back then the front, I got the tank "in" im having trouble with the straps tho they dont seem to reach not sure if the tank has to go up an inch or 2 more but it wont budge and both pairs of lines to each side are out of the way so i cant see what would be holding it back. But it does get fuel now but that little line next to the fuel pressure regulator (cold start injector line if im not mistaken?) is leaking.

First, reference the gauge sending unit . . . you want to measure the resistance levels in the electrical lines as the float is moved up and down. Secondly, and a common issue, with a new sending unit, the float sometimes wants to catch on the baffles. The net effect, the float only travels halfway down before getting stuck, the gauge never appears less than 1/2 full.

As for the leaking line, there is an o-ring that commonly fails where the cold start injector line goes into the fuel rail. Look for that.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you need right "rubber" in the tank. Ones come w/ new pumps are often wrong type and gas and Egas can rot it fast. use search

gauge reads 0 - 90 Ω and half tank is ~ 45Ω from tank sender.

At minimum put Ω meter on sender and plug to car and read Ω to make sure they match there.
Even then gauge or wiring anywhere in the car to it can make gauge read wrong or not work at all but you know sender and wired is good to that plug.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

lordxchris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2019 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordxchrisSend a Private Message to lordxchrisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

you need right "rubber" in the tank. Ones come w/ new pumps are often wrong type and gas and Egas can rot it fast. use search

gauge reads 0 - 90 Ω and half tank is ~ 45Ω from tank sender.

At minimum put Ω meter on sender and plug to car and read Ω to make sure they match there.
Even then gauge or wiring anywhere in the car to it can make gauge read wrong or not work at all but you know sender and wired is good to that plug.

This is really useful info thanks.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2019 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only submersible fuel injection line will hold up in the gas tank. Its specification J30R10 and it costs about $10 per ft.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock