Rebuilding steering rack by Liam45
Started on: 02-12-2019 10:54 PM
Replies: 7 (524 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 02-13-2019 10:34 PM
Liam45

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2019 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you rebuild the steering rack i have bad play on both sides of the rack, ive seen the bushing for left side but nothing else.. any suggestions before i order a refurb one.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney makes a kit to rebuild the rack, it's possible.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

Let's Go Mets!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no 'kit'.... there is a part and a process for 84-87 Fieros. 88 is different.

Rebuilding the 87 steering rack
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
‘84-‘87 cars.

There is a metal bushing RD sells for the right side of the rack. On the left side the bushing is nylon, or like material. RD does not sell the left side part. You may also have to source the rack, pinion gear, and pinion bushing and bearing. The rubber bellows on the ends can be found at Rock Auto or parts stores.

Generally, the rack, pinion, pinion bearing, left bushing, are all in good shape and most likely don’t need replacement.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 02-13-2019).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kevin87FieroGT

1202 posts
Member since Nov 2010
Buy referbished rack carefully. Many here have not had good luck with them. Good sources for the referbs are limited at best.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Change the passenger side bushing and the inner tie-rods and you already have better than some "rebuilt" units.

I paid dearly for a "rebuilt" unit shipped to Canada, only to discover I needed to replace the inner tie-rods anyway.
It seems they just cleaned the rack, smeared some new grease on the inner tie-rod ball and put on new boots.
If they can't be bothered to replace the inner tie-rods, they won't be disassembling it for the bushings and bearings.
Not long after, I had to change the passenger side bushing too. So there was NO advantage in buying this "rebuilt".

carsteering.com https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/128897-2.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-16-2019).]

Liam45

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Liam45Send a Private Message to Liam45Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

‘84-‘87 cars.

There is a metal bushing RD sells for the right side of the rack. On the left side the bushing is nylon, or like material. RD does not sell the left side part. You may also have to source the rack, pinion gear, and pinion bushing and bearing. The rubber bellows on the ends can be found at Rock Auto or parts stores.

Generally, the rack, pinion, pinion bearing, left bushing, are all in good shape and most likely don’t need replacement.

yeah i saw the passenger bushing but cant find a place to source the right bushing. Auto store down here has a refurb for 138... but with a lifetime warranty i may just have to try it out.
Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2019 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned. ‘84-‘87 buy the right side bushing from Rodney Dickman Auto. He’s a online seller that has a great reputation for quality parts here on the forum. Here’s the link for the bushing. He also has a few other rack parts.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_44&products_id=209

Best of luck with the rack. Let us all know how it turns out. Many here are looking for a rack supplier that does a trustworthy rehab.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 02-13-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock