Is my EGR working properly? by sd_iconoclast
Started on: 02-11-2019 07:54 AM
Replies: 5 (200 views)
Last post by: theogre on 02-12-2019 10:27 AM
sd_iconoclast

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2019 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an '88 Formula (2.8) that recently failed a smog test here in California. The only problem was high NO emissions.
NO emissions were high across the board, but I only failed at 15mph. I squeaked by at 25mph.
When I see high nitrous emissions I generally think the EGR system is to blame, or the timing is too far advanced.
I have checked the timing and it looks OK.
I have checked the EGR and it seems to function correctly. Please check me:
When I apply vacuum to the EGR valve, the engine stumbles. So I assume the EGR valve is good.
I connected a vacuum gauge to the input of the EGR valve and drive the car around.
I saw no vacuum at idle. I saw up to 4 in HG when going up a steep hill.
That seems a bit low, but I cannot find any reference to tell me if it is low.
Does anyone know?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2019 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2019 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure the EGR does not operate at low speed (ex. 15 mph and below).

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 02-12-2019).]

Crasian

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2019 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrasianSend a Private Message to CrasianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nox is a byproduct of combustion.. it forms in excess when combustion temperature is really high and that can be caused by many different things. There’s is a lot to it, but if I suspect the EGR is not working, I do the “stumble” test and then go for a test drive with the vacuum gauge “T” into the vacuum line going to the EGR and see if it’s actually being told to activate and when. But honestly, most of my emission problems were due to a bad catalyst.

-Crasian
sd_iconoclast

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2019 05:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sd_iconoclastSend a Private Message to sd_iconoclastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Crasian:

Nox is a byproduct of combustion.. it forms in excess when combustion temperature is really high and that can be caused by many different things. There’s is a lot to it, but if I suspect the EGR is not working, I do the “stumble” test and then go for a test drive with the vacuum gauge “T” into the vacuum line going to the EGR and see if it’s actually being told to activate and when. But honestly, most of my emission problems were due to a bad catalyst.

-Crasian

Exactly my thinking!
That is exactly what I did...after replacing the catalyst.
I guess I should have mentioned that.
So I tried applying 4 in HG to the EGR valve (with my vacuum tester) to the EGR valve while the engine was idling. It stumbled noticeably, but did not die.
Can I rule out EGR now?
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2019 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not quite...
V6 EGR is controlled by solenoid that's controlled by ECM.

Do what said above. T the line to EGR and watch vac gauge while you drive. Don't need to watch exact #, just when shows vac at various time, most over 35 mph or more but ECM can demand EGR On at any time. Really need ECM scanner have have help to watch both to match. IOW Scan say EGR On then Gauge should have vac too.

Emissions failures like High NOx can be several things... In no order...
Iffy EGR.
Iffy Cat.
Iffy Ignition Timing or other problems w/ HEI.
Iffy O2 sensor.
Exhaust leaks can let ail In the system cause iffy O2 data and/or fake out the Cat.
Burning oil or coolant can make Cat and O2 problem and poison both that will kill them often w/o Codes setting before O2 completely die. Poison/Dead cat can be High NOx, fail blocking exhaust, Overheat that can cause a fire, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock